100-Years ago in Albany NY

I have written about my old hometown newspaper, the Times Union, Albany, NY, and they feature a section called “Looking Back” and this is from 100-years ago today…

If you hurry, you might still get that 1923 Ford Coupe for $425… L :wheel: L . . .

4 Likes

First you’ll need a Mr Fusion and 1.21 “jigawatts” (sic)

2 Likes

A Model T for $425? Seems too high for an obsolete 15 year old design. 22 hp flathead 4 banger and 2 speed tranny…

I’d take the Chevy with its 24 hp overhead valve 4 banger and 3 speed transmission.

4 Likes

I would concur with that thought, but if the Chevy was also a coupe, it would be a toss up…

Seems you really had a pay a big price premium for a Cadillac in those days. I don’t think it is anywhere near that % now.

That Ford looks too Amish.
Chevy cahave the top down? How fun!

Agreed with the Amish assessment, but the Chevy was not the Coupe, Pictured below is the 1923 Chevy Coupe, Not much of an imagination difference from the '23 Ford Coupe…

23 chevy

And so we can compare “Apples and Oranges;” below is the '23 Ford Model T Touring and as you can see, it is very similar to Chevy 491 Coupe… Like I wrote, not much imagination…

23 ford tour

But as “less attractive” (I would not say “Ugly…”) as the Coupes were, we would not have the T-Buckets of today…

tbucket

matt

1 Like

I wonder if the Chevy version had the same weird driving controls needed to shift the transmission? You had to do something non-obvious with the foot pedals I think. I presume neither used water pumps for the coolant. It appears the Chevy had glass in the side windows. The passengers would definitely get a lot of fresh air flow in either car … lol …

The three pedals on the floor of the Model T were not Gas, Brake, and Clutch… The brake was on the Right, reverse gear was in the Middle to make the Model T go backwards, and a pedal on the Left to shift the gears from low to high speed. And I do not remember how, burt a lever on the floor somehow worked the brakes and the clutch.

And if you want to know how to operate "Your Brand New 1923 Chevy 490 or the Special Models, here is the Owners Manual…

2 Likes

Chevy has normal pedals.

1 Like

It sure did as illustrated on page 10 of the user manual…