08' Mitsubishi Galant Freon Leak

Let me start off by saying that I live in the Virginia Beach area and it is HOT. My AC stopped blowing cold air late last summer so naturally I ignored it until the temperature hit close to 100 degrees a few weeks ago. We went to an Auto Zone store and purchased one of the recharge kits and had great success for about two weeks. Two weeks following our efforts to recharge the AC the air temperature started to increase once again. Now about three weeks later I have absolutely NO cold air coming from the AC. We THINK that this must be due to the car leaking freon somewhere. Does anyone have any recommendations? Any idea how much this is going to run me at the repair shop? I have read online that the stop leak kits can really gum up your AC and in some cases cause it to stop working completely.

Thanks!!

The leak can come from anywhere, it can be as simple as a bad “O” ring or as expensive and complicated as a leak in the compressor. It can be a stone chip in the condenser, or a leak in the dash at the evaporator, it can be a bad hose, or a bad Schrader valve… What I am saying is you need to take it into a shop and have them look at it. They have sniffers and UV dyes that will be able to better pin point your problems…

Shops that service a lot of A/C systems will have equipment to track down leaks very quickly. One thing you can check, the Schrader valves (2) that ragtop mentioned. That’s where you put the freon in…Spray them with soapy water and look for bubbles…