07 vw passat wagon

I have a 07 passat wagon. I’ve had it for a few months. The previous owner told me there was a issue that would happen but it usually happened in the winter. The car would start to slow down, and lose power. It wouldn’t let you accelerate. So he would pull over and restart it and it would go away. He told me he brought it to a bunch of mechanics and they couldn’t figure it out. So now I have the car because it was gifted to me. I got it in November, with many snow storms and that issue never happened until about March when it started to rain a lot. Every time there is heavy rain the car starts to get loud, and shake. I can’t accelerate so I have to pull over and restart the car. It’s been happening a lot and I don’t have a choice but to drive it in the rain because I travel a hour to work. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? No lights come on the dash when it happens, and the mechanics where I live don’t have a clue.

Moisture related first thought spark plug wires and distributor cap if applicable.

1 Like

Sounds like some of the ignition coils are failing, was the check engine light flashing (indicating a misfire)?

3 Likes

Does the check engine light work?

1 Like

Yes it does

On the dark take a spray bottle and with the engine running, spray a mist on the plugwires start to finish. If you hear or see arching, replace arching wires or components.

1 Like

Saw a seller of 07 Passat who says the motor has issues? It runs but seems to diesel? Not sure what they mean since it’s a gas motor. 2.0 turbo. A vw motor that idles poorly is not a good thing. Since it could be timing issues. Heard the motors can be delicate. Pics sure do show a nice car. Too bad the Audi/vw cars of that era were so touchy.

1 Like

“Dieseling” used to mean the engine kept running after the ignition was shut off. That may be what it referred to in this case too.

1 Like