'06 Camry has "lifetime" transmission fluid. Should I change it?

Here is my computer chair work… :grinning:

1 Like

All of my mowers have had lifetime oil in them. Meaning that I’m 53 years old and have never changed the oil in any mower/edger/washer etc. that I have ever owned!

2 Likes

The local JL insists that the shop workers get ASE certifications and pay for them. They have a board where all the certifications are posted. As I’ve said before, this is where many mechanics start. After gaining experience and showing that they can get to work on time, they might find a better job reserved for experienced mechanics.

I know not all these chain places are so bad. Each shop is a franchise and the standards may not be the same at all. My parents use a Firestone place and have for decades. It is locally owned and the same people are always there working. They haven’t had any issues with the place but I have heard bad things about Firestone, Dobbs, etc.

It is good that a Jiffy Lube is going above and beyond as I know many call them “Iffy” Lube.

I am amazed that mowers and such can put up with this as well as they can. I have heard that Briggs and Stratton came up with the “lifetime” oil idea because so many people don’t bother to change the oil so figured they would go along with it.

I remember one time I was given a mower that needed some TLC. I had to clean the carb and changed the oil. I let someone borrow it right after I got it running and they said it just started smoking so bad and then ground to a halt. Apparently it developed a nasty oil burn and he had to mow with the wind as to not be smoked out. I am guessing this one had been run low on oil before and that was also a problem. I refilled the oil just to see what would happen and it would start but smoke like a steam train. It threw a rod not long after.

I was given a rider with an old Kohler Command engine that I thought was in about the same shape. It came back to life and ran for years with a little TLC, mainly just changing the oil.

Says volvo guy…

2 Likes

Bought the lawn boy for the cabins 3 or 4 years ago. Lifetime oil they say. Not sure when I will change it, yard guy got a self propelled he prefers to use.Run maybe 20 hour so far.

I would change it now. Most of those small engines say to change after the first 5 hours of operations and every 25 hours after that. I usually run one mowing then change. The amount of metal in the oil is crazy. Then I run 5 hours and change. Then I go with the schedule.

1 Like

Lifetime no schedule! Perhaps a change would be good.

Where did that 100K perfect case-scenario come from?!? Unless you are talking about some ford, chrysler, or gm…
Well-made trans should last indefinitely.
Your temp point, however, is perfectly valid. That’s why the first thing I did to all my 4Runners (and, yes, Duramax with Allison) was trans cooler.

TCI Automatic Transmissions, one of the leaders in performance transmissions, but it is also what I was taught by a Master Transmission builder from years ago and still holds true today…

Nonserviceable transmissions. I’m surprised Toyota ever went down this road but they backtracked at some point and are back to serviceable transmissions, kind of tells you all you need to know.

We’ve already said there is no such thing :smirk:

1 Like

Thanks for posting, interesting article. Nothing at all good to say about hot transmission fluid. I wish I could monitor the temperature of my truck’s automatic transmission fluid while driving, like I can with the engine coolant.

Your welcome sir…
Install a big inline cooler (in series) after your rad, you can even go with a larger aftermarket pan also…
But you can also get aftermarket systems to keep an eye on your tranny temp…

I really don’t think you are in danger of overheating your transmission unless you are doing some racing or heavy towing with your truck, especially as long as you have owned it, just keep a close eye on your coolant temp (assuming you have an internal cooler) and keep servicing your tranny regularly…

1 Like

Well, he did. He’s dead now. A year or 2 ago.