'04 Camry problem

I changed the plugs today. Two of the four 10 mm bolts that hold the plug connectors in place made a popping sound like they had snapped off. Took them out, they’re fine. Now neither will tighten. I didn’t over tighten them but I’m guessing after 13 years the threads in the valve cover gave way. Is that a correct assumption? If so, can the holes be re-threaded or do I need a new valve cover?

Go to Sears or an ACE hardware store and get this thread restoring kit.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_209728401?hei=315&wid=315&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

This kit has saved my butt several times when threads got damaged from doing what seemed like a simple job.

Tester

2 Likes

I would buy a new valve cover instead of trying to restore the threads.The valve cover has to come off anyway and a new gasket put in.

The bolts referred to are to hold the coils in place and are blind into the valve cover. Cleaning up the threads with the kit as @Tester posted, doesn’t require the valve cover be removed unless there is no clearance to reach the threads. A thread insert, like a heli-coil would work if the threads are too buggered to clean up.

Edit: OK, replace valve cover, THAT requires new gasket. I was confused by your comment.

Wonder if this would be a decent hillbilly

Heli coils will do the trick.