01 impala...is it a keeper?

My 01 impala is my first car and it has a few probs but I’m willing to invest in this car. It has over 200000 miles but it will take me out of state and I can tell it’s on it’s last leg…the tourqe converter is havin a problem and it slips and catches and the engine burns oil just a little bit…theres a few other problems but they aren’t a threat to the cars life should I keep this 01 and invest or bump up to a newer model? The reason I question this is bc older model cars are eaiser to fix…or so I’ve heard

Nonsense, and it all depends if you are will to put more money into a vehicle then it is worth. Your money , your tolerance for vehicle problems - therefore your decision not someone else.

Older models being easier to fix means pre 1972, no computers, no smog devices.

Having it inspected as one might when buying a used car could give you helpful info in making the decision.

I think you just answered your own question. :wink:

Does it have a 3.8L engine? Those old Impalas were one of the best cars ever made, in my opinion. I can’t speak for the 3.4L models.
I have 3 cars with the 3.8, one is a 2001 Impala LS with over 300,000 miles!

Cheapest, easiest things, first!
Anyhow, you might want to buy a bottle of Sea-Foam Trans Tune, a new transmission filter & gasket (the original rubber one is probably hardened up), and about 7 quarts of Dexron VI fluid.

Pour in about half the bottle of Sea-Foam and drive around for a while before removing the transmission pan (all 20 small bolts), catching all the fluid in a very large pan, replacing the filter, and refill with the fresh fluid, according to the car’s instructions. (Or have somebody else do the change after you drive with Sea-Foam.)

You will possibly not have immediate results, but after driving a while you will quite possibly experience an improvement you can live with.
:evergreen_tree::slightly_smiling_face::evergreen_tree:
CSA

Cheapest, easiest things, first!
Try adding some Lucas Oil Stabilizer or Lucas High Mileage Oil Stabilizer as directed on the bottle.

A good time to do this is during an oil change. Have the volume of oil replaced plus the Lucas add up to the engine’s capacity so you don’t overfill it.
CSA

Of course, I should have asked, but assumed that you checked the trans fluid level and looked at & smelled the fluid’s condition. What were your observations?

Curious… How was the torque converter diagnosed?
CSA

17 year old car. Not a classic in any sense of the word. They made a ton of them but parts WILL get more difficult to find as it ages. Silly things will wear out like door locks and ignition switches. Nothing you spend on this will be an “investment.” Investment implies the car will go up in value, an Impala won’t go up in value.

Agree with others, the engine will go 300K if it is the 3.8 liter V6. So it is probably worth a transmission rebuild if everything else is in good shape and rust is not an issue.

Wow that’s pretty detailed ima give it a try tho!!

Thank you for all the knowledge​:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

It was diagnosed through the obd2
And the fluid is running over just a little bit an it’s REALLY needs a change
As for the engine prolly just needs some treatment

Do you know what trans fluid is supposed to smell like?

Does your fluid smell like that or does it smell burned?

Is it still reddish/pinkish color or is it dark brown?
CSA

My approach is…

1. Do you still enjoy driving the car and/or does it still fit your needs?
  2. Is the cost of repair less than a couple of months of a replacement payments?
  3. Can you afford and do you have the cash and future income for a replacement?
  4. Is the cost of a replacement the best use of your money?

As much as we love 'em, cars are basically still machines designed to reliably get us from here to there and at 200,000 miles your car is approaching the end of it’s economic life. With enough money you can keep anything running but does it make economic sense?

Mmm not exactly and it’s a dark red color

Partly true. A lot depends on the vehicle’s design & configuration. For a diy’er, coil on plugs (vs distributor), transverse mounted v6’s, complex evap systems, automatic transmissions, power door locks and windows, ABS, variable valve timing, & A/C all may add maintenance & repair complications. Impalas were sold in pretty big numbers and are considered reliable , well designed cars, so you got that going for you; access to relatively inexpensive repair parts shouldn’t be much of a problem. Manual transmission transverse-4-bangers early 90’s OBD I econoboxes are the sweet spot imo configuration-wise, but it is hard to find them still preserved in good condition.

When I bought my first car prior to heading off to a distant college and a part time job, I first considered a used Fiat 124 (2-seat sports car), a used Opel GT (another 2-seat sports car). Both were quite lovely. After a little friendly, common-sense persuasion from my dad however, and I purchased an almost new Ford truck. The truck cost 3x as much, but I realized what I needed was a reliable ride that would last me at the very minimum the next 4 years without much more than gas, oil, and oil filters to pay for. I still drive that truck – albeit infrequently – nearly 50 years later.