The 2010 Volvo V70 has been replaced

For the few who might care ( if any ).

After the wife had 3 months of serious health problems entry and exit of the V70 was not easy.

We now have a 2024 Subaru Outback Limited . I also wanted to have most of the latest safety features and nice options.

Adaptive cruise control - Great / Blind spot warning - Great and has possibly helped me avoid an accident / Lane assist - mostly good to have / Rear braking assist - with all the kids in our neighbor hood it has shown to be a good feature

Nice Options : driver recognition ( not needed but it allows up to 5 drivers to set seat memory / keyless entry that lets you lock and unlock doors just by touching the door handle - really nice / rear hatch open by holding your hand by the logo - also nice / Plus all the information the driver can access by steering wheel controls is impressive .

Of course the resident Luddite’s will throw a fit but we like the stuff and the wife is real confortable and just feels better with the safety feature and conveniences.

10 Likes

What ever is best for you and your wife is all that matters sir, she is the important one, family 1st
 Hope she is doing better

Congrats on the vehicle

3 Likes

The Outbacks a great choice, particularly for your needs. My aunt in South Dakota bought the previous generation for the Eyesight package and won’t get anything else even though the dealer’s about 45mi away.

Another relative who had several Volvo XC70 wagon’s finally had enough with repairs and switched to a Lexus RX hybrid which is more comfortable and reliable when they would snowbird to Arizona for part of the year. Now they’re full time in AZ

1 Like

Resident non-Luddite who is often mistaken for a Luddite (too simplistic) - thank you for the report and recommendation. But mostly just glad it’s working out well for you.

What mopar said and congratulations. If it suits the wife that’s what matters.

Happy wife, happy life! We bought our Saab with an automatic transmission when my wife’s knee couldn’t work a clutch pedal anymore.

Nice to see you post again. Hope your wife is feeling better and that it continues. Enjoy the new ride.

WELCOME BACK!
Apparently welcome back is not good enough.

1 Like

My brother and SIL love their 2021 Outback Touring XT, and even though they didn’t buy it specificially for all of the features that you mentioned, they have grown to really appreciate them. As you can probably guess, my 2022 Lexus NX has all of those features, and I also like them–a lot.

The best news is that your wife is doing much better!

The Eyesight feature has been applauded for years as excellent. Enjoy the new car.

1 Like

Hey cig, I’m the real deal, in a luddite context:

I have my own “Lane Assist”: two hands on the wheel when on the highway.

“Blindspot warning”? I just set my sideview mirrors correctly: No portion of my own vehicle in them. “Side-view” does not mean ‘a view of the side of your own vehicle’ - it means, a view of what’s going on NEXT to your vehicle.

“Back up camera”? That’s me turned around in the drivers seat looking out the back window, the way we been doing it since WW2.

No dorky tablet sticking out the dash - I won’t even RENT something with an ‘info-tainment’ screen, let alone purchase.

Give me radio, CD, and an aux port.

Wanna “save weight” in modern cars? Save dis:

There should be a law requiring a spare tire & jack in the trunk or hatch of every new passenger and commercial vehicle.

Common sense

Apparently you can see through your trunk to notice a small child who might have crawled behind your car. Since I don’t have such powers, I’m glad I have a backup camera.

2 Likes

That is one good aspect of the cameras. I do not, however, approve of using the screen exclusively, or even side- and rear-view mirrors. The best view aft, overall, is through ones own eyes.

I don’t know about you, but I view my rear-view camera with my eyes. Does yours have a tactile interface?

1 Like

The rear window on the Outback is 46 inches from the ground . We have lots of kids running around on our street that are not that tall so even if I was able to turn around and look out the rear window I might not see them . Those things can cover a lot of ground in a short time. The Backup Camera shows a large area that can’t be seen by the driver.

Anyone who thinks that backup Cameras are a waste is a Fool.

5 Likes

If there are any kids behind my car they are trespassers, and will be prosecuted.

I wasn’t aware that you’ve never ever parked in a public parking lot.

Public lot? My car hasn’t left the garage in a few years. It’s a 2008 and has less than 42k on it.

Yup!
And, if one is able to look at that rearward view on a 14 inch screen, all the better.
:laughing:

1 Like

Open your brain Mike:

All I was saying is to rely on a combination of whatever resources are available, tech or otherwise. Don’t rely solely on a back-up cam, if your car has one.

No one EVER said to rely on the camera only. You seem to be complaining about a nonexistence problem.

3 Likes