Oil Quantity of 2.4 liter Scion Xb taken from Oil Quantity of 2.4 liter Camry? Still Unanswered

OK, been searching this issue and found the below post. I have a 2008 Scion Xb with 2.4 liter engine. Purchased last year with only 21K miles. Oil changed by dealership every ~5K miles (little old lady owned it). It runs great. I have changed the oil twice now, car now has 27K miles. Each time, I placed 4.5 qrts back in with oil filter change (Toyota filter), and it is overfilled by 1/2 qrt. I drain 1/2 qrt out of it and the dipstick level reads perfect at upper mark. I assume that 4 qrts should be the replacement volume with oil filter change versus 4.5 qrts per the manual. I use 5W20 per spec. When i drop the oil, I get about 3.5 qrts out with oil filter drained included in volume.

I read the below description regarding a 2.4 liter Camry engine all the way through without an answer. Toyota does not give one either. Have spoken to Toyota mechanic and they say to change every 3000 miles versus every 5000 miles. That is what I do.

The question is: How much oil do I put in on an oil/filter change? I do not wish to overfill since that is just as harmful. I do not wish to underfill either by .5 qrt. Can somebody get to the bottom of this? The Scion discussion members were amazed that I paid attention to this level of detail. If already answered with good authority response, can you point me to where this is posted?

Thanks and appreciate your input with similar experiences… but, prefer a good authoritative response!

Oil quantity of 2.4 liter Toyota Camry
srusinek
May 2009 edited November -1 in Repair and Maintenance
I own a 2009 Toyota Camry SE with a 2.4 2azfe engine and 4.5 qts seems to overfill the engine. I manage an oil change place where i’ve been there almost 7 years so i know i have the skill to do my own oil change. I used a Prolater pureone oil filter #PL14477 and 4.5 qts of valvoline 5W20 full synthetic oil. When I was done I noticed that it was overfilled by a quarter of a quart. I then lowered the oil and made it on the full mark. A couple of weeks later i had a simillar Toyota Camry come through and installed 4.5 qts of oil and again it came up overfilled. I had to lower the customers oil for him and showed it to him to verify it was on the full mark. The other day I had another Camry come in and this time i only added 4.25 qts of oil and it was on the full mark. The thing that gets me is our computer at work shows it should have 4.5 qts when replacing the filter and so does the owners manual. Is it possible that the dipstick is short from the factory leaving the oil level too high? Is there a typo in the owners manual where it should say 4.25 qts instead? I know it’s only a quarter of a quart difference but i’ve never seen this happen before. If you have any feedback or experience with this issue i would really appreciate your feedback and thanks in advadnce.

I have a different question. Why the heck are you using a Camry engjne description to service your xB when Toyota went through all the trouble to create a separate owner’s manual as well as to put the Scion engine’s fluid capacities on stickers in obvious places for easy reference?

1/2 qt up or down won’t hurt anything. But if you continue using the wrong information you’ll inevitably make a mistake. And it might be costly. For example, the same engine might use a turbocharger in one application and require synthetic, and not use one in another application and not require it.

I recommend that you simply get the correct manual and follow it.

@mountainbike apparently this Scion shares the 2AZ-FE engine with the Camry. But I agree, 1/2 qt plus or minus makes no difference.

If the 4.5 qt spec is in error, well, it won’t be the first time an owners manual had a technical error. And if the dipstick is 1/8" too long, it wouldn’t be the first time a car part was engineered ir manufactured wrong.

Either way, don’t obsess. You may as well go with the 4.5 qt spec. Even if it’s wrong, 1/2 qt extra won’t hurt anything.

Have you registered your Scion on the web site? You’ll have access to all the information you need:
https://ssl.scion.com/owners/web/pages/home

I think everybody’s missing the point here . . .

You pour oil in slowly, stopping once in awhile to check the dipstick . . . SO THAT YOU’RE NOT OVERFILLED

Bottom line . . . I don’t believe OP really knows how to do an oil change correctly

Because they insist on referring to an incorrect owner’s manual

Because they admit to being overfilled all the time

OP is correct to be concerned about this, while 1/2 quart under is usually ok, 1/2 quart over could be problematic w/some engines. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it, but figuring out what the correct amount of oil to add during a change seems a worthwhile thing to know. One possibility, oil filters, depending what brand is used, can vary a bit on how much they hold. And it’s entirely possible the oil pan design was changed a tad and this wasn’t reflected in the owner’s manual. Who knows? Rather than speculating, best plan I think is to determine how much oil it takes to bring it to the full mark on the dipstick (after filling and driving it for a day, checking the next AM), then write that down in the owners manual along with the type of filter used, then continue w/that filter and that amount going forward.

If OP ever has a chance to compare OP’s dipstick reading to the dipstick from an identical car with the same engine; i.e. use two different dipsticks to measure OP’s oil level, that might be an interesting comparison too. There’s always the possibility OP’s dipstick has a problem. It’s possible that the tube the dipstick goes in has a problem too, but I can’t think of an easy experiment to test that, other than removing it and comparing it to a known good one.

mountainbike

So the xb and the Camry both use the 2AZ-FE engine . . .

So what?

When I was at the Benz dealer, there where several vehicle that that used the 112 engine, for example

But they would have a different oil pan, depending on what vehicle the engine was mounted in

Ford used the 3.0 Vulcan V6 in many vehicles, FWD, RWD, longitudinally mounted, transversely mounted

As far as I know, they didn’t always use the same oil pan

Guys, please correct me if I’m wrong

Jesmed, my Scion tC shares the 2.4L Camry engine too. But I’d be reluctant to use Camry specifications to service my tC. Ther may be and likely are some less-than-obvious differences.

I agree it wouldn’t be the first time a manual had old or incorrect information. My Olds says 7 1/2 quarts but takes 8 1/2 quarts to bring it up to full on the dip stick. I talked to Olds on it years ago and they said to go by the dip stick so that’s what I do.

Sorry, title of post created confusion. I have been searching why my 2008 Scion xB oil level comes in at .5 qts high on the dipstick when changing the oil using the Scion manual specifications (4.5 qts with applicable toyota filter).

You might not think .5 qts is significant but this is my wife’s car and she does not check it as much as I would. Also, this engine is known to lose a little oil. In my case, it tends to drop after hitting the 3000 miles mark on an oil change when the spec states it does not have to be changed for 5000 miles. I change it every 3000 miles using Mobile 5000 5W20 per spec. I use the Scion manual for quantities and specifications, not the Camry manual. I did find the post regarding a Camry from a oil change shop that had this same question that was not answered.

the manual clearly states not to overfill the oil level above tghe full level. It states that it is too full above the upper mark on the dipstick. In my case, .5 qt “too full.”

I own a 2000 Toyota Avalon, 1995 Camry, and 1972, FJ40, 1975 FJ55, and 1993 FJ80 Landcruisers with each of them filling to the correct capacity on the dipstick level indicator. Never a problem

I just want to know, what is the issue with Toyota and what the correct volume is supposed to be without underfilling or overfilling my engine.

Here’s a data point anyway. Toyota says my Corolla uses 3.6 quarts with filter, and that is pretty much exactly how much it uses to hit the “full” mark. The amount needed depends of course on how much of the old oil removed first. There’s always a little that remains. I always warm the engine to operating temp before doing an oil change, then after removing the old filter and drain plug, let it drain for at least 30 minutes before re-installing the new filter & drain plug.

Is there some reason you don’t want to do the simple thing, determine how much it takes by experiment?

Thanks, I do the same thing by running the car engine prior to changing. I have experimented and it takes 4 qts to fill the engine to the “full” level on the dipstick. Also, I have experimented to make sure that the 3.5 qts that is pulled out on both oil changes that I performed was not due to oil stored in the engine. I have let it drain for 45 minutes to get as much out as possible out. The first oil change was at 3700 miles and the 2nd oil change was at 3400 miles on the oil. The mileage I am comfortable changing with is 3000 miles or the level decreases below the “full” level beyond 3000 miles (about 1/3 below the “full” mark. I have experimented with this on the last oil change.

The first time I changed the oil, and placed 4.5 qts into the engine, per spec, it came up .5 qts over, I dropped the oil again immediately (experimented). I took into account the amount of oil in the new oil filter after running the engine and checking the level. The oil taken out of the engine was the amount I put in less the oil filter volume; so, it did not appear to be an engine storage or baffle issue.

It appears to be a question of if the manual is incorrect or the dipstick is not graduated correctly on a number of 2.4 liter engines (2AZ-FE). I just want to know the correct amount of oil to replace with to perform an oil and filter change.

I can live with what i am doing, but would prefer to “know” what the correct answer is so that I do not have to guess. This may be why Toyota offered free maintenance for the first two years after purchase. The oil levels were always marked as at the “full” level. I corrected them when I purchased the automobile and took it for an oil change knowing that it was about 2/3’s low on the dipstick. They also had overfilled the level according to the dipstick.

What do you do? I have learned that 4 qts brings the oil level to the “full” mark on the dipstick . But, is that correct or is the dipstick incorrect? Remember, if let go to the full 5000 miles, the engine level may be between 2/3s to 1 qt low based on the documentation and experience I have with the car. And, my WIFE is the driver, so, it is important.

I know a guy who always adds an extra qt of oil after a change, he never had any problems. He used to be a trucker, I am like dude, but it has not hurt any of his gm vehicles yet.

That is encouraging. However, just going by what the manual states and the previous responses suggested that I do. I assume, I will just have to live with it and add the extra 1/2 qt per the manufacture specs. It will be tough to have Toyota change something like a dipstick or a manual or a recommendation for oil type for their engine. I did speak with a toyota mechanic and he stated to keep changing the oil every 3000 miles like I do on my other Toyotas so as not to run low. That is what he does.

I was encouraged by the Camry post with same issue so hoped it had been resolved eleswhere and i could gain from the result.

@Landcrusher

The dipstick ALWAYS takes precedence over whatever the manual says

Unless you can PROVE without a shadow of a doubt you’ve got the wrong dipstick installed

As for your 2AZ-FE engine using some oil . . . Toyota corporation is well aware of this and has released a technical service bulletin, as to what is considered acceptable, and what to do in case your engine uses too much oil . . .

I can post this bulletin, if you would like to read it

I buy my oil at Costco, when it’s on sale. When it’s time for a service, I just head to my local parts store for the filters, wiper inserts, etc.

Check the oil level every few weeks, and add oil as needed to bring it to the full mark

If you do that, and change your oil at the correct intervals, your engine will live a long and happy life

The mistake that so many people make is NOT checking their oil level between oil changes . . .

Yep, I always follow the dipstick. Now you know to go with 4.0 qts.

But they would have a different oil pan, depending on what vehicle the engine was mounted in

I ran into this years ago with a Ford 302 engine. The 302 they put in the Mustang had a completely different oil pan for the F150 pickup. They may share the same engine…but the externals (like oil pan) may be completely different.

Thanks for the comment on the dipstick taking precedence. That is how i have been handling the oil changes. It is what I have been taught growing up years ago and passing onto my kids. Ok, things have not changed. I have read the technical bulletin on oil consumption and mine does not meet those high rates of burn; does not burn if i keep the changes to below 3000 miles between oil changes.

Just wanted this to be like my historical experiences with my other Toyota automobiles and not worry about my wife driving the car and tracking the oil level and number of miles before change.

Thanks for the input.

First I commend you for taking care of your wife’s car he way you do. You’re taking better care of the car than the manufacturer recommends and I support that.

The oil usage, which if I understand you is about a qt every 3,000 miles, is perfectly acceptable and normal. The manual recommends an oil CHANGE every 5,000 miles, but in another spot I’m sure it suggests checking the level routinely and keeping it above the “fill” line. 5,000 miles is NOT the recommended periodicity for checking it, only for changing it.

As to refilling it, I’d use whatever brings it to the Full line plus an extra 1/2 qt for the filter. I prefill my filters before installing them using a turkey baster, and I can tell you that that little can holds a surprising amount of oil, probably not much less that 1/2 qt. For mine, which is the same engine, it’s 4-1/2 qt total for the whole change.

@Landcrusher

Don’t let the engine get 1 quart low

Always keep it at the full mark, even if the next oil change is only 2 weeks away