Nissan Sentra - Service Engine Light On

Friends, unfortunaly I’v been informed by a mechanic that my car needs a new exhaust piping system. The repairs will include the replacing of the oxygen sensors however it will cost $1150. At this point I am weighing the pros and cons of keeping my car or to start looking for a new car in the next few months. I spent about $1000 total to get th break pads, rotors, and front struts repaired earlier this year so I am afraid to keep putting money into an older car. Let me know your thoughts.

Is the exhaust loud? How does the car drive?

Why are they replacing the O2 Sensors? They usually last the life of the vehicle.

Everything you’ve stated are normal maintenance items. If the rest of the vehicle is driving fine then spend the money and get it fixed. An open exhaust can cause other problems, so I would get it fixed.

Certainly time for a second opinion. The noise you hear may be an an air leak in the exhaust system or intake system causing the code.

Woow…from belt alternator, alternator drive belt, air filter, Cabin Air Filter to a new exhaust system. The car has ony 74K miles. Was it explained to you why a complete exhaust system? I would love to hear it because I find it hard to believe.

You need an o2 sensor. Check the Mechanics Files link for an honest mechanic in your area. Yelp is also a good reference. I would replace the o2 and get another opinion on the exhaust pipe.

1 Like

If that is an honest assessment (and I want to emphasize the word “if”), then this is probably the result of doing mostly local, short-trip driving.
By my calculations, this car is driven less than 7,500 miles per year, and that usually indicates mostly local, short-trip driving.
If I am wrong in this case, then I apologize in advance.

Anyway…mostly local, short-trip driving does take a toll on several areas of the car, including the exhaust, the battery/charging system, the brakes, and–possibly–the engine itself, due to the inability to “burn off” accumulated water vapor from the motor oil and the exhaust, the inability to keep the battery fully charged at all times, and frequent use of the brakes.

If your usual mode of driving is as I surmise, you really need to get this car out on the highway for at least 40 minutes on the weekends.
And, despite the low odometer mileage per year, you need to change the oil every 6 months.