KM or mph?

Canadian driver of American car was ticketed for going 100mph in mpls yesterday. He thought speedo on American rental car was set for km vs mph. He was stopped in 55 mph zone near downtown. He was initially confused about why he was passing other cars at such as fast rate.

It’s good to hear that it’s not just Americans who are confused about metric vs English measurements.
I can recall, back in the late '70s when there was talk about converting the US to the metric system, there was a letter to the editor in my local paper, in which a woman complained that this switch would make it impossible for her to use her current car.

Why would it make it impossible for her to use that car?
Because her car “uses gallons of gas, and is not set up for liters”.
No, I am not making that up.

:astonished:

1 Like

The ticket was justified…

“He was initially confused about why he was passing other cars at such as fast rate.”

Either the driver was BSing or not, it sounds like the excuse given, mixing up the brake pedal and accelerator pedal that some people give when they drive through the front of a store.

When one is confused about speed while passing cars in a 55mph zone like they’re standing still at 100mph then they’ll surely be confused by other driving practices and are not fit to drive.

Where it’s a CYA (cover your arse) lie or it was a valid explanation, that driver shouldn’t be importing this type of driving. We have enough poor driver U.S citizens on our roads.
CSA

Sounds like BS. Until 1978 Canada used miles and cars sold in Canada have the outer circle of the speedometer in km/hr and just inside that circle is miles/hr.

Most Canadians are well versed in both systems. If the driver in question was sincere, he must be one of the dumbest Canadians I’ve ever heard of.

My interpretation it was an electronic speed indicator set to km, not an analog gauge that shows both. The display may have had a km/h that went unnoticed. Last almost speeding ticket,

Didn’t you realize you were passing other cars? Are you in a hurry to get somewhere?

No I am not in a hurry, in fact taking the back roads on a 500 mile trip and enjoying the scenery.
(also wanted to stop at my favorite Amish bakery)

License and proof of insurance please. (was the first and only car that pulled to the side when I saw the flashing lights a ways back)

Could not find active insurance paper, 3 or 4 expired ones, as matrix the cat was meowing wanting to get on with the road trip.

Beautiful police lady, I might regret this, you were 15 over, but I am giving you a ticket for $10 for not having proof of insurance.

I did not regret it but had become fairly lax at observing speed limits. I am better now, mission accomplished.

He thought speedo on American rental car was set for km vs mph.

Hogwash. 100 KPH is about 62 MPH. If he can’t tell the difference between 62 MPH and 100 MPH he has no business driving a car in Canada or the US.

2 Likes

Bull. There is no way on this Earth that he didn’t know he was speeding. He can lay that excuse on the court and hope to get lucky, but I ain’t buyin’ it. I’ve driven 100 mph (and more) and there is no way he thought he was doing 55. Or 65. Or even 75.

He was in vehicle with 5 passengers. None of them noticed anything odd? He was on 35w near crosstown which has 2 90 degree curves about 1/2 mile apart. 35w is like a big Z there. Annoying road. I lived there before it was rebuilt and the merge traffic was a royal pain.

My Pontiacs have analog speedometers and a mph/km button on the dashboard. I’ve hit the button by accident and I could tell in an instant that something wasn’t right.
CSA

"…Wound it up to a hundred-and-ten
My speedometer said that I hit top end.
My foot was blue, like lead to the floor.
That’s all there is and there ain’t no more.

Now the boys all thought I’d lost my sense
And telephone poles looked like a picket fence.
They said, 'Slow down! I see spots!
The lines on the road just look like dots.’

Took a corner; sideswiped a truck,
Crossed my fingers just for luck.
My fenders was clickin’ the guardrail posts.
The guy beside me was white as a ghost…"
Commander Cody And His Lost Planet Airmen
CSA

2 Likes

I had the same problem in Norway where the speed limit was 80. Seriously, the guy didn’t steal the car did he? The speeding penalty shouldn’t be worse than the penalty for stealing a car which would be a cup of coffee in the police station and a warning to double check to see if you are getting in the right car or not. I’d let him off. Plus we don’t want to anger the Canadians with all that oil up there, do we? Knowing that area though, it might make a difference if he was going north or south. South would mean he was running for his life. Didn’t a pizza guy just get shot/killed yesterday nearby?

I love that old tune…

My daddy said you’re gonna drive me to drinkin’ if you don’t stop drivin’ that Hot Rod Lincoln

As a driver . . .
ANY PERSON AT ALL . . who is driving an unfamiliar vehicle
has the inherent RESPONSIBILITY . . .
ANY DRIVER . . .
EVERY DRIVER . . .
. . . to LEARN that vehicle PRIOR to operating it !

DRIVER’S FAULT COMPLETELY.

I was on a long college trip with my middle son and we’d switch off driving. When he was driving is sleep and visa-versa. When half groggy I was able to tell my son was driving sour 15mph over the speed limit. If you think you’re driving 65 when actually driving100 - turn in you license.

1 Like

A member in good standing of Possum Lodge, no doubt.

If they were driving 100mph and didn’t realize it, they must be a simpleton.

@jtsanders I do not share the slight to being a good member of the Possum lodge. Like the fictitious Sherlock Holmes, no basis in reality.