Hyundai fuel tank shut off, constantly

Help me, Obi Wan Magliozzi. You two are my only hope!

Hyundai Accent 2001 1.5liter manual. (Base model, no AC and NO CLOCK… NOT even the radio double as a clock, so pathetic of a car)

Fuel tank constantly shuts off. I research this problem and found out that there are ‘many’ others with similar problem. Here’s a few recommendations I dug up:

MOST OF THE TIME THE PROBLEM IS THE CHARCOAL CANISTER.FIVE THINGS NEEDS TO BE CHECKED/FIXED

1 A CANISTER CLOSE VALVE COULD BE CLOGGED WITH CHARCOAL OR NOT WORKING

2 A CANISTER FILTER

3 ELECTRICAL CONNECTION TO THE CLOSE VALVE

4 BROKEN CANISTER

5 A PURGE VALVE WHICH PULL FUEL VAPORS FROM THE CANISTER

6 ALL THE HOSES OF CANISTER SHOULD BE OPEN, MEANS NOT CLOGGED

I HAD THE SIMILAR PROBLEM OF PUMPING GAS .I HAVE REPLACED THE CANISTER CLOSE VALVE , NOW I CAN PUMP GAS WITHOUT A CONTINUOUS AUTO SHUT OFF

HOPE THIS ANSWER HELPS

My question: where do I begin? Do I access the tank from under the rear seat? Do I have to drop the tank? Where are these things (canister, purge valve?) located? How do I access them?

Thank you, Obi Wan Magliozzi! You two are my only hope!

You say your fuel tank “shuts off”. What does that mean and how did you come to that conclusion? Does your car stall and not restart. Have you checked for spark? Have you sprayed starting fluid in it when it won’t run and does it run briefly on that? If so, have you changed the fuel filter?

Peter…

The two brothers do not post answers on this forum.

Probably the best course of action is to buy a Haynes manual for your model car ($15-20) and go from there. It will be quite useful for future repairs.
If you are really strapped for cash, perhaps you should try your local library. Many have the Haynes manuals. If your Karma is good, you might find that your library stocks one for your model car.
Also check ebay for used ones.

Peter,
I think that your are having problems filling your gas tank. The components you have asked about have to do with the vapor recovery system, which help to prevent gasoline vapors from escaping from your tank while you are filling up. This is a common enough problem with these systems. If you are having this sort of problem, I recommend that you do NOT try to fix it. If you must pump your own gas, try to apply as much pressure as you can on the nozzle to tighten the seal, and pump the gas as slow as you can. It will likely kick out on you every five to ten seconds or so, but you should be able to fill the tank. It will just take longer. Pay attention to how much gas you need, and don’t try to fill it completely, since you will inerringly spill gas when you overfill the tank.

If this is a problem that involves the car stalling and not restarting, you have a host of possible causes that only MIGHT involve the fuel delivery system.

DO NOT attempt any home repair on the fuel system without at least buying the Chilton’s manual for the car and year. There are safety procedures for this kind of work that MUST be followed. The manual will tell you where the parts are and how to replace them as well. You can likely find a copy, used or new, on Amazon or E-Bay, etc.
Reply if this is a problem with stalling, because finding the cause for that is something I can help with.

Have you been in the habit of topping off the tank when you fill it up? Chances are there is a sticker somewhere on your car and in the owner’s manual telling you not to do that.

Do you have a CEL (Check Engine Light) on?

Thank you, kind folks, for responding.

1, Ray and Tom doesn’t answer questions on the forum, CHECK, Understood.

2, I shouldn’t do my own repair due to possible danger (scaring, suffering, dismemberment, death)! CHECK, understood. TOO LATE. I opened my tanks before trying to diagnose my fuel pump, I pulled it out before and all that good stuff. It is under the rear seats.

So, no, I will not hold w.cartalk.com liable nor the members of it’s forum. Any safety concern is my own responsibility, not w.cartalk.com nor members of it’s forum. And, no, I’m a non-smoker nor will I use an open flame (match or lighter) to see inside the tank. And my fuel tank is “pretty empty” due to me not wanting to spend 30min to fill up my tank.

3, Haynes or Chilton manual for it’s safety advice. Check, will get one Sat afternoon. Understood.

My mistake, I didn’t clearly write out my thoughts. Check engine light/renew my plate is stressing me out…after I lost my job 3wks ago and I have tuition that is past due along with more tuition coming up in 8-10wks. Unfortunately, I may come across in this forum as being stressed out over this issue.

1, Fuel pump prematurely shuts off. (not the “fuel tank shutting off” as I misstated in the original post)

2, YES, I did top off my tank for all cars I owned…until now. (68mustang AT, 88accord MT, geo metro convertible (3cyl)MT, maxima AT, accent MT…all used purchasses.)

3, Yes, I did lots of searching on the internet. Everything seems to be directly linked to toping off of tank.

4, I didn’t realize that a faulty fuel inlet can cause me to not get my plate renewal by failing echeck in Ohio.

The nice folks at AutoZone offer reading of Check Engine Lights. Here’s what I got:

1, p1401 "diagnostic module tank leakage (DMTL) failure"
2, p1402 "DMTL motor - power stage fault"
3, p1403 “DMTL valve - power stage fault”

Where, on an accent 2001, are the valve and motor? I’m asking this, before running out to get a Haynes, incase that it’s ‘easy access’ and I can fix it “in a few minutes” in the morning…I got time, I don’t have a job. And, yes, I’m trying to keep a positive attitude.

Thank you, everyone, for spending your valuable time in reading this cry for help.

Peter W