How to adjust your side view mirrors

Bill, here you go:

I put mine on the lower corners of the sideview mirrors, as far inboard as possible. Then I adjust them down to show curbs, gas station stanchions, etc.

Be sure to get the adjustable kind.

I basically the opposite of you, jesmed1…I set my mirrors the traditional way and let the blind spot mirrors assist with changing lanes (of course I also look over my shoulder, too.)
I’d probably do it the way the SAE suggests if I did less backing up/parallel parking/trailer towing.

Either way can work. I prefer to use the larger sideview mirror to eliminate the blind spot while driving since it gives a bigger view than the small convex stick-on.

thanks.

I did a little crunch on my 1 year old car (Forester) a few months ago, leaving a gas station, I turned too sharp, and hit a stanchions. It was not visible to me directly. I did not look in my mirrors at the time.

Just finished sanding out the rust, priming and painting. Doesn’t look great, but protected.

@irlandes - Driving 800 miles a day ? At 50 MPH average that would be 16 hours of driving . I just can’t see averaging 50 MPH in rural Mexico

Rear view mirror.
Side mirror.
outside mirror.
Right side mirreor.
Left side mirror.

I lean my head on the driver’s side window and adjust the driver’s side mirror to just see the rear fender. Then I put my head over the center console and adjust the right outside mirror to just see the right rear fender. With the inside rear view mirror adjusted to a neutral rear view, I can at worst see parts of a car in both the inside mirror and the outside mirror that views the lane the car is in. This pretty much eliminates blind spots in my sedan. It doesn’t work quite as well in Mrs JTs minivan.

I had an adventure in moving, adjusted the mirrors a tad lower so I could see the trailer wheels 1 ft on each side wider than my towing vehicle, in respect to my lane, I guess there may be differnt adjustments for different situations, as stated previously love the rectangular wide mirror stickon for drivers side, but agree with tom and ray, no need to see your passenger door in the rear view mirror.

Old thread, but I was not aware of questions I did not answer.

Most of my driving since retirement was in the US, and 800 miles a day on the Interstate is not real hard. In Mexico, even on so called high speed highways it is a real good day to make 500 miles. My first hour is no more than 25 miles, and it is hard to overcome that wasted hour once I get on the high speed highways.

Plus high speed highways aren’t. You have a few miles at 70 mph, then there is a collection of gas stations and repair centers, with speed limit as low as 25 mph. 40 to 45 average is pretty good.

And, if you are on less important roads, 28 mph is really driving hard. Speed bumps; funeral processions; cows in the road.

From my house to Cordoba is around 115 miles over the mountains. The first 35 miles is secondary, and takes me an hour and a half. The rest is high speed cuota, but it isn’t really.

When you hit the mountains, the limit is around 38 mph.

Then there is always construction. So, that 115 miles takes nearly 3.5 hours.

On the stick on mirrors, I put mine on the outside lower corner of the mirror. I need not turn my head at all, ever. I can see all around the car. There is no blind spot at all.

They just don’t know how to protect the flow of high speed traffic.