Cruise-control limit?

Toyota vehicles are available with “Full speed range” cruise control. The software is different and in addition to Dynamic radar cruise control, full speed range uses the parking brake to hold the vehicle when stopped in traffic.

Can the system be hacked to allow full speed range control? Possibly, but don’t ask your dealer to do this. The easiest solution would be to buy a vehicle with full speed range cruise control.

1 Like

To be clear, the OP likely really needs adaptive cruise control. I see claims that aftermarket systems are available, but I personally wouldn’t trust those, so I’d also replace the car before doing that.

1 Like

It looks like Medicare and other medical insurance plans might cover adaptive equipment (perhaps a hand throttle in this case), so the OP should check with his or her insurance company on that.

1 Like

Most cruise controls will “lock out” below a set speed. The two main reasons are that you are likely to be in a city and in stop-and-go traffic at those low speeds. And, the vehicle would try to downshift and upshift as the cruise control opened and closed the throttle at low speed. It would tend to be erratic.

I guess a CVT would help out with that a little, but if you had a 8+ speed transmission, it might go crazy… lol

As someone with a progressive neurological disease, I can understand a little of what you are going through, at this time it affects my left leg more then my right, so if it doesn’t work quite right then I just can’t depress the clutch pedal and at worse I will stall the vehicle… Next will be I will be unable to drive a stick shift then at some point I will no longer be safe to drive myself… And when that time comes I will no longer drive, sadly… It might be time for you to go to hand controls or even train ourself to drive with your left foot (unless having same issue with it)…

Remember that same twitch on the gas pedal can also happen on the brake pedal and cause you to accidentally brake check the person behind you, and that can create a whole new set of issues…

I don’t know you or your situation, but just don’t keep finding ways to drive if it is truly time to stop, could be dangerous to you and other around you…

2 Likes

Before cruise control, jc Whitney used to sell a throttle kit so you could set the engine rpm from the dash. Not a speed control but engine rpm control for long drives. Don’t know if this is even possible now with drive by wire.

A friend is missing her right leg. She had a gas pedal installed on the left of the brake and uses her left leg to accelerate and stop the car. If you don’t have left foot tremors this might be a lower cost solution.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I have the same issue with CC and couldn’t understand why it turns off at a low speed.
But there is also another problem: when I turn CC on and accelerate, my car just starts slowing down. I checked the manual but didn’t find the solution there.

Your welcome and welcome to the forum…
It would be best to start a new thread (your thread) with all the information you can give like year make model, engine/trans and mileage… Then explain your situation in more detail…

I am assuming you are hitting the accelerate button and not the gas pedal?? if so hit the decelerate button and see what happens… On an old Bronco II, I ran across it doing the same thing, turns out the wires were crossed… lol

But again best to start your own thread…

1 Like

Try jacking up the drive wheels and engage the cruise control. It may not be able to adjust the throttle fast enough. The speed may jump up high to like 80 MPH then way down again even though the cruise control is set to 45.

Below 25 MPH, the car could be in 1st gear and the car may accelerate too quickly when the cruise control is engaged because the cruise control can’t adjust the throttle quickly enough. That could be the reason.

In-freaking-sane

1 Like

Typical [[[ SNOWMAN ]]] nonsense.

Cruise control won’t operate with the vehicle on a lift, what is the point in trying?

If this is an old vehicle like the one in the original post, the owners manual will indicate that the cruise control does not operate below 25 mph, it is electronically locked out.