Classic car body on modern everything else?

I would limit my resto modding to brakes, A/C (hey, it’s Dallas), and suspension. I’d keep the original-type engine, carb and all. And no way would I put on huge wheels with low profile tires. I’d rather just buy a modern car than a body with a crate engine, 20" wheels, etc.

Met a Guy at a Lowes store who had a 36 Ford pickup(from out west) the thing was in excellent shape I got to talking to Him about it (He used the truck to actually haul things )It had an updated suspension .functional AC and the fuel injected 3.0 litre Ford V6 ran great and returned decent gas mileage(a classic done right)
You know ,one can soup up those old Hemis to good effect(amazing how many different versions there were(check Allpar .com )

I am reminded of “The Beast!” Lowell Burkhead, inventor of the now obsolete Burkhead Safety Rack, took an old Army 6X6, and put an early 60’s Ford body on it. He had two transmissions on it, and it was intended for spelunker outings. When they went to a cave, the cars would stop miles away. The 4X4 guys would go a few more miles. And, Lowell would start down-shifting and drive up to the cave entrance.

It was a strange looking vehicle, which is why it got called The Beast. Somehow he got it totally licensed and drove it all over the USA to spelunker events.

I don’t think I ever rode in The Beast. I happened to be there the day he welded the gas tanks. He tried everything to form the curve correctly. He finally realized the best way was for me to sit on the ends and my weight gave it the perfect curve. He started welding around, and it got closer and closer to me, and I started getting nervous. He finally laughed and stopped.

Once, in the winter, he buried it in a muddy place on a rural county road. He talked to the sheriff guys who told him, “Yes, don’t worry. No one is going through there until spring. But, please tell us how you got it buried with no visible tracks the last 30 feet!”

When he died, it was sold to a man who cut trees and sold firewood. He wanted it so he could drive it into the woods in winter and fill the back end with wood and drive it out.

His other car was an old 1936 aluminum Avon. It was green and looked like an old TC or TD. I did ride in that. When the motor bearings went out, he poured new ones. He thought it would be worth a fortune, but no car, no matter how rare, is worth a cent more than someone will pay for it.

A friend in high school bought 3 beat up Austin Healeys and pieced together a good one. With the parts left over he installed a junk yard 260 Ford engine. The Ford engine was lighter and sat back further in the frame making the car significantly faster than the original. The original engine was a 180 c.i. I 6.

The original engine was a 180 c.i. I 6.

And that was one heavy 6 cylinder! No wonder Henry’s thin-wall V8 was lighter.

A junk yard Cobra!

I had a 61 Dodge with a 318 that I bought in 64. It just had a brake job done at the dealer when they talked him into trading it in. You could not lock a wheel at 70 mph, just smoke and shudder.
Went and bought Gray Rock linings all around ( They were using them in Nascar at the time ). After that the car stopped well from any speed, it felt like you rsn into a big firm pillow.