Can you replace a manual transmission to an automatic transmission?

Possibly. Shifting gears all the time would make it more difficult to use a cell phone for calling and pretty much impossible to use one for texting. hint, hint

As this chain starts creaping away from cars, let’s reiterate the part about the important

LIFE’S LESSON

That this must turn out to be.

A highly improtant measure in learning to just ‘suck it up’ and do what’s need to live life.
So many times one has to do this, even as a temporary step, before getting exactly what you want.
( you have to clean a few toilets before you get to bask in th corner office. )

I would TEACH THEM TO DRIVE THE MANUAL…This will prove useful to them later in life. I feel that you dont REALLY know how to drive a car until you can drive a manual properly…Hell my CAT can drive an automatic.

Converting the car IS possible but at what cost…wouldnt it be easier and a better life experience to learn the manual trans…

I have done several conversions…albeit FROM auto to manual… Of course it can be done, but youe are going down the wrong path with that idea from the vehicles as well as your daughters standpoints. They will appreciate the knowledge later in life…trust us.

Also when they finally get the manual…it opens them up to being able to drive ANY vehicle…SAVE ON FUEL…and own more reliable vehicles…there are other advantages too…but you get the idea.

True story (this happened less than a month ago): A friend of mine’s wife car, an automatic Toyota RAV4, threw a rod and the vehicle is now pretty much toast. He didn’t want to deal with parting it out so he pretty much just gave it to the junkyard. She can’t drive his manual Tacoma pickup, so he had to trade his much beloved truck in on a Yaris to share (money was tight). Now he’s having trouble doing the things he used to with his truck and she feels bad.
Moral of the story- Learn to drive a stick. Most vehicles outside the USA are standard, so this could help them abroad or even if some sort of emergency dictated it. It’s a skill worth learning and I would agree with the other post about cell phones. They would be much less inclined to talk on their phones or text while driving with a manual.

A few more reasons to teach them to drive the 5-speed. An automatic transmission will eventually fail and usually leads to a $3000+ repair bill. It also requires regular mainenance, unlike the 5-speed. A clutch can be replaced for $500 and with luck, you will never need to do it. My daughter was faced with driving my 5-speed or paying for a car. It took her about 1 minute to make the decision and only a couple of hours in a big parking lot to learn. You will also get a few extra mpg with the 5-speed.

Needing to know at some other unknown time
can be a major point of discussion for parents and teens.

What unknown time ?

• Being able to be the designated driver for absolutely anyone.
  • Being able to borrow or use anyone’s car
  • Getting a job in a multi-vehicle field like car sales and service, car rentals, vehicle fleet yards, parking attendants, where the vehicle to be driven will differ vastly from your own. ( some of these jobs will not take their time to teach you. No stick shift, no job. You can’t be damaging a customer’s or work vehicle. )
  • Be able to settle on you very first personal car purchase without worry.
  • Having this skill in your back pocket 10 years from now.

Start teching now, before they really need to be driving on the streets.
Just parking lot practice so they have it down.

85% to 15%, that is good. America is finally growing up.