Brakes shaky

I have a 2005 Honda Civic with approximately 140K miles on it. When I am going 60+ miles an hour and try to brake, the brakes shake. Or at least that is the best way I can describe it. It makes it hard to stop well when going fast, I have to release the brake and kind of pump them until the shaking is under control. What causes this? and what needs to be fixed? I wonder if it is the way I drive or just a normal occurrence?

When you stop normally can you feel the brake pedal pulse? Does it only do it at high speeds?

Sounds like your rotors are warped. They need to be resurfaced or replaced.

There can be a number of reasons for this. One common reason, especially after new pads are installed is a residue transfer from the pads to the rotors that causes uneven braking. When this occurs, step down a little harder on the brakes to scrape or burn off the residue.

Another cause is warped rotors. The rotors will have to be turned down or replaced if this happens. There are a lot of reasons for warped rotors.

Personally, I’d try the hard braking first, it doesn’t cost anything. Just be in a safe area when doing this. If after two hard stops, it still does it, then you need to go to a shop.

I have not replaced brake pads recently, and it does not happen when I am go at slower speeds (I don’t believe - pay more attention when I drive today). Warped rotors, I will ask my mechanic about them. Thanks.

You’ll feel a slight pulsing in the pedal at slower speeds.