What's the rate of evaporation/loss of a full synthetic engine oil?

5 months between checks is too long. McP’s recommendation of every two weeks is good, I check mine about every month.

The fact that your oil light never came on is a great sign. It means you’ve done no damage. The way the system works is that there is that all of the oil in the engine circulates through the parts lubricating them and then drains down into a pool of oil in your oil pan. The oil pump has a tube that sticks down into the pool and pumps the oil under pressure through the engine. The oil light responds to a pressure sensor that’s in the pressurized side of the circulation, just past the oil pump. It does not respond to the level of the pool in the oil pan. As long as there’s pressure it means oil is being pumped everywhere it needs to be. In short, your engine is fine.

However, you still need to get in the habit of cecking your oil level. Personally, after I’ve chenged my oil I check it multiple times for a few days until I’m certain that I haven’t left a leak. Anyone, even I, is susceptable to overlooking a faulty O-ring on the filter.

Hope this helps.