What's the rate of evaporation/loss of a full synthetic engine oil?

Thank you for the information. I didn’t know about the quart per 1,000 miles.

FYI - my Passat has about 44,500 miles on it now. I changed the oil almost exactly 5 months ago at 40,500 miles. So, it’s been driven about 4,000 miles now (about 75% city driving). Yes, it’s not being driven much.

The reason I asked the question was because just last week, I noticed that the oil level had dipped below the minimum level and was barely covering the plastic end of the dip stick. I was rather shocked, because 5 months ago, I had put in 5.5 quarts of that synthetic oil. I checked where the car is normally parked and there is no oil drop or residue on the concrete floor. I was almost wondering whether the garage where I took the car to for spark plug replacement at 41,000 miles drained the engine oil, because I’ve been doing the engine oil change on my two VWs for last 20,000 miles or so and I’ve never seen the car lose that much oil before. I was actually quite surprised that the “check engine oil” light did not come on.

Anyhow, I’ve not experienced the 1 quart per 1,000 miles yet … until this time. And I’ve been using the same grade 0W-40 oil ever since I started doing the oil change myself.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
Gene