Ready for a kinder, gentler driver's ed?

I started teaching my girls to drive when they were 6-7 years old. They started with the boat. Then the dune buggy and tractor. By the time there were 10 they were pretty good. My oldest could drive my road bike with me on the back at age 12. The youngest is now a pretty good off roader. There both in their 30’s now and can drive anything. I watched with pride when the oldest drove her great grandfather home from the woods. She was driving the tractor pulling a trailer loaded with wood. She was 13 at the time.

The most fun with them was when I got a old beater car. I took them out to a field and showed them how to dough nuts! I then would put the in a slide and show them how to get it back under control. After a few try’s they started doing good at it.

I think it does not matter how you teach them as long as you start them at leased a few years before the drivers Ed class starts. That way its not so new to them. I look back at the kids I grew up with and the ones who like me learned to drive at a young age. We were the ones who did not have accidents in the first few years of driving. I had two good friends killed their first year they drove. Both died because of a lack of skills. Their parents would not let them drive till drivers Ed class. Then after that it was, here are the keys, see you.