1968 Buick Riviera, Should I take it?

If you intend to drive this car from Nebraska to Chicago, you may be in for an adventure. You will first need to make sure the basics are in good condition. Fluids need to be in good shape, rubber components, especially tires, will need to be in good shape, the cooling system really needs to be in good shape, and you should definitely plan on some problems along the way. Join AAA and carry a cell phone with you on the trip. Carry a good credit card with plenty of credit on it in case you face unexpected breakdowns you can’t deal with on your own or lack of parts availability (i.e: staying where you are overnight or longer). Learn how to replace and set breaker points and dwell angle, and carry a new distributor cap, rotor, breaker points, feeler gauge, condenser, and dwell meter with you in case any of those parts fail on you, and they may. Once you make it home, you have your new hobby!

I say “hobby” because that’s what a vintage car really is, a hobby. They can make viable daily transportation, as I have done plenty of times in the past (still miss my 1971 Chevy C-20 pickup), but you will spend a lot of time working on them and cannot really depend on them for use as a daily driver, and repairing them can be a problem due to possible parts availability problems. The Buick 455 is not as popular or common as it once was. Many auto parts stores don’t even stock the most common parts for the old smallblock Chevy any more, and they made around 90 million of those things! If you intend to use this as your primary vehicle, forget about it, but if you want to learn a lot, want to have a cool classic car to play around with, and will have something else as a daily driver, I say go for it.