GM "Customer Satisfaction Program" Recall of 3.6L V6 Engine

You can be sure that when we bring our 3.6 in I will have questions such as follows to present in writing to the service advisor with a cc to the new car salesperson if indicated:

1. What is the before and after cam rotation CEL trip point in degrees of lost cam rotation relative to crank rotation due to cam chain wear or whatever measure is used?
  2. How was the oil change monitor countdown affected?
  3. Why is the oil change frequency a factor with this recall?
  4. Is cam chain wear more rapid initially to make a CEL trip somewhat likely and then does cam chain wear diminish as it might be when going through a break-in process or is it possible that a cam chain failure might be put off until a later date and mileage when the car is out of warranty?
  5. Has the need for this recall been exacerbated by people who often drive their cars aggressively such as using maximum acceleration from stoplights?
  6. Have cam chains broken or have they been changed only due to the CEL?
  7. What has GM done to newer models to eliminate this problem so I can know why I should buy again?

Back in the bad old days before computer engine management with associated cam event and other engine component monitoring capabilities, this situation would likely have gone unnoticed.

I miss pushrod engines, cheap to make, perfected over time, reliable and easy to repair. OHC engines are what consumers demand now or else a car maker will be accused of having an old fashioned design.