2005 Ford Taurus automatic slips from 1st into 2nd gear

To be honest, I do not remember the last time the fluid and filter were changed… We usually had regular checks, all fluids and filters checked… my hubby took care of that but I cannot find any documentation as we usually went either to Pep Boys or Jiffy Lube. But changing the fluid at this time with 113,000 miles on it, isn’t that a bit risky? I know I read that I should NOT do a transmission flush at this stage… As for the money part, when we lost our jobs, we lost our house as well as we were unemployed for over 1.5 years so you can only imagine the financial situation. We are just now trying to get back on our feet with my husband being back in the military somewhere in the south Pacific.

Would you recommend AAMCO? I’ve been reading up that some people’s car would not even shift anymore after they had work done on the transmission (not by AAMCO but in general) - scary thought as I am depending on this vehicle which has been so far pretty reliable. I bought it used in 2007 with approx. 50,000 miles on it.