Temperature gauge and overheating

What are the proper procedures to “burp” the system? We had it flushed and filled at a oil change shop so I’m not sure if they burped it but they were aware of my problem. Will it ‘self burp’ after a period of time?

The cooling fans are working and it does come on when the AC is on

The radiator has not been replaced and the cap is original. This is the only thing I haven’t replaced yet but the mechanic seemed to think it was okay. The mechanic (not too bright) can’t find anything wrong with it but I haven’t taken it to the dealership for fear of being raped.

I have been checking antifreeze levels regularly since this overheating starting occurring in November. The first time it overheated it was low and I added some antifreeze but since then levels have remained full when the engine is cold.

In the last month or two the engine is burning a little oil. It was half a quart low and then maybe a month later it was a half a quart low again. It has been about 2800 miles since my last oil change. It has been regularly changed since I purchased the car with 22k miles. The overheating problem has been ongoing much longer (Nov 08) but it may be time to put the ole’ Camry to rest. I really wanted to get another year out of it.

I do have hard water here and maybe neglected to have the radiator flushed regularly. Yes, turning the heater on will lower the temperature gauge immediately as long as I’m not climbing hills (live in the mountains but sometimes the smallest of inclines will make the gauge go up some). Temp gauge will also go down when I crest a hill and enough air flows over the engine. If idling the turning on the heater will make it go down. Is that bad news?