First Car Decisions for Parents of Teens - Help!

Who is going to pay for the insurance on the car? If it is your daughter, that is one thing. However, if you are going to pay for the insurance, you might want to check with the insurance company to see how the rate for the Tracker compares with what you consider a more stable sedan.

I had the opposite problem with my son. We had a 15 year old car that I allowed him to take to college that was 50 miles away from home. His second year, he went on an Appalacian studies program. This location was 400 miles away and involved quite a bit of interstate driving. I said that we needed a better car for the trip. His reaction was that the old car would be fine. I sent him in a newer car that we had and I drove the old car. The day after he left, I was driving the old car and the ignition lock jammed and I couldn’t even turn the wheel. If this had happened to my son, he would probably still be sitting at a rest stop 15 years later–his mechanical knowledge isn’t very great. He has never cared about owning a “cool” car–all he cares about is getting from one place to another.

We are parents and we always worry about our children. Even though my son has a spotless driving record, I think he is too young to have a license. He is only 35.