Best car for lower back problems?

When you have lower back problems, cars are like shoes–you have to try them on for size. My wife and I don’t have a car anymore because of the seating position–we have a Chevrolet Uplander minivan and a Toyota 4Runner SUV. Before the 4Runner, we had a 1993 Oldsmobile 88. The ride was soft, but due to the seats, my legs and back ached after only 100 miles. The 4Runner has a firm ride, but the seats fit us so well that we can ride all day and not be tired.

The university where I am employed has three makes of vehicles in its fleet–Honda Civic hybrids, Ford Tauruses, and Chevrolet Impalas. My wife is also employed by the university and recruits graduate students. Of the three, she prefers the Ford for its comfort. I haven’t been assgined to the Chevrolet Impala, but I prefer the Ford Taurus over the Honda Civic Hybrid when I have driven these cars. The institution once rented a Hyundai Sonata for me for a road trip. I didn’t find it particularly comfortable.

Try the cars on as you would a pair of shoes. VDCdriver has given you good advice in not overlooking a small SUV.