What car has the best ride? (comfortable, smooth, few bumps)

The older Citroen models with the hydraulic/pneumatic suspension

The car would “rise” when started, as the engine-driven pump pressurized the hydraulics.

That same hydraulic suspension was tied into the braking system as well. The brake pedal was really a valve which diverted some of this hydraulic pressure to the wheel brake cylinders.

Back in 1967 when the US required that all new cars have a backup/secondary braking system, I understand the way that Citroen met that requirement was that if their primary (or only) system sprung a leak, then the suspension would lower until the tires rubbed on the wheel wells - causing the car to slow to a stop.

Someone can correct me if there are any errors or omissions in my recollection.

What about an 1988 Olds 98 Regency Brougham for ride and comfort?

You need to go ride different vehicles and find out for yourself. Some people here have suggested cars like the lincoln…personally I don’t care for that FLOAT ride at all. I get seasick. Best ride I’ve ever been in/driven was a high-end Lexus…which I’m sure many people won’t agree with. So you need to find out what ride YOU LIKE. Not what ride other people like.

theatreman, instead of asking us about ride and comfort or what car suits you best, why don’t you just test drive these cars that you’re considering and see how they feel to you. And then buy the one that you like best.

That is good advice. I have driven some of these cars, but some I cannot because I have looked at them/communicated about them via internet used car sites. I just like to get other opinions on these cars. Keeping and maintaining an older car is a fun hobby for me. I just like to share it, I guess.

There is no question but that the answer to this question is the Lincoln Town Car. The very best model year is 1996.

There is no question but that the answer to this question is the Lincoln Town Car. The very best model year is 1996.

According to YOU. That is YOUR opinion. And it’s an opinion. Opinion does not make it a FACT. Ride comfort is subjective. It is NOT definable that fits into a uniformed set of criteria.

If what you want is smooth comfort, I vote for a Lincoln. I drove one that belonged to my boss. The only drawback is that people who drive them usually encounter an expansion of their asses. Pretty soon, you could have an ass that says “I drive a Lincoln.” The Lexus, on the other hand, will have s smoother running engine and you can find one that is smaller and more fuel efficient without sacrificing ride quality. Okay…now I am voting for the Lexus if you want something slightly smaller and slightly more fuel efficient. Either would be a good choice.

I hear the Maybachs are nice. :wink: Pre-2000 you probably have to settle for a Rolls-Royce or Bently.

Slightly more seriously, if you have some money and can find one, the V12 VW Phaeton is supposed to be an amazing luxury car, but since it never did sell well they don’t have great resale value and you might find one relatively cheap.

The big domestics are likely your best bet for cheap and easily available with a cushy ride, but it’s really subjective. I like a firm seat with good lumbar support, some folks like a soft couch-like bench seat. You have to pick what you like. Good luck.

The Ford “Panther” platform cars are very hard to beat for a smooth, quiet ride…The rear-drive, body & frame construction, flush mounted glass, double door seals adds up to a hard to beat combination. On the road, they deliver 25 mpg on regular fuel…They were made 1992-2007.

MAGLEV train car.

sooo SMOOTH.

If you want that marshmellow ride, there are still a few cars left on the road, such as the Mercury Grand Marquis, the Lincoln Town car and the Ford Crown Victoria. My wife call these “Old Fart Cars”, and says you have to wear white shoes while driving them. They are still used as company cars and limos. Visit any golf course on the weekend and ypu’ll see plenty of them.

Riding in a car and driving it are two different things, however. The best combination of ride and handling is probably the Lexus 400 rear wheel drive. It usually outscores even the Mercedes S calls in luxo tets.

You are correct; this car was technically way ahead of its time, but the execution left somthing to be desired. If you had a hydraaulic leak the car would squat like a sick dog, and you had to call the tow company. They were also unreliable in very cold weather; the French never evisgaed these cars in Montreal, Minnesota, and Denver in the winter. The self-leveling feature often raised one part of the car more than another.

But the ride was magnificent!

The advantage of Lincoln Town Cars over their Ford (Crown Victoria) and Mercury (Grand Marquis) brethren is that the Lincolns have much better seats. The trouble is that the Lincolns are 6 inches longer and have many more electronic doo dads. You can put Lincoln seats into the others.

The W12 Phaeton is an Audi A8-W12 of the same era. I never drove one but did sit in one at the LA Auto Show. They are very nice cars. And the Phaeton will be less expensive than the Audi because it’s a VW. Kinda like the Corolla/Prizm dichotomy, only on a grand scale. But the first Phaetons were sold in 2004 in the USA and are over $25,000.

A 1980s Rolls Royce Silver Spur should do the trick. In addition to extraordinary comfort, it is a work of art. Check out the exquisite seating and wood appointments in this example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___05-ROLLS-ROYCE-SILVER-SPUR-ONLY-26000-MILES-SUPER-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ260254989542QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260254989542&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

You can get one of these for $20,000 to $30,000.

Wellll, try a Lexus LS400 for a creampuff ride and rock solid reliability. Sorta like being between “a rock and a soft place.” For example, we own a 1990 (first year) LS400
now with 230,000 miles and it has all original: suspension, exhaust system, starter, alternator, fuel pump, window motors, switches, seat motors… you know all the stuff that usually needs to be replaced a couple of times or more in 230K miles. Rides like a cloud. Engine and transmission seem like new, as does the paint and leather. Our good condition 1990 is proably worth $2,500, so that is about the least expensive range of cost, and of course you could get up to the low $20’s with a 2000 model.

Other nice things: big trunk, big sunroof, very comfortable seats front an rear, real wood trim (our looks like new), and about 22MPG + highway (better on the newer LS models).

That is a very subjective question but by far the most comfortable car I’ve ever owned or driven is my Lincoln Mark VIII. Great ride, handling, and seat design.
I’ve had 2 lower back surgeries and one neck surgery and with most cars on an extended trip a 150-200 mile stop is a necessity for me.

With the Mark I’ve driven for extended distances without even a pause. I’ve made several trips from my home to Ft. Hood, TX (425 miles one-way) with not even one brief pause on the trip and have experienced no problems at all.

When I wanted to improve the ride of my 1965 Rambler, I would go out and drive my 1950 Chevrolet 1 ton pick-up truck. The Rambler then seemed like the smoothest ride in the world. To improve the ride in my 1 ton Chevrolet pick-up, I would go mow a field with the Farmall F-12 tractor. This made the pick-up ride like a dream.

In other words, ride is subjective. I played a concert a couple of weeks ago and two of my passengers commented on how comfortably my 2006 Chevrolet Uplander van rode and how comfortable the seats were. One of my passengers drives a Cadillac DeVille and the other a Buick Park Avenue. Why did they think my Uplander was so comfortable? We had been playing for 2 hours in the most uncomfortable chairs that I have ever sat in.

Yes, I used to love my beat up old Corvair after I drove the company Greenbriar.