Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Tires...wearing on both sides?

My back tires are wearing on the in and outsides. They have 700 miles on them and are at 37 psi. Question is, will over-inflated tires cause wear on in and outsides?? Just had another alignment so I'm not sure which is causing it. Thanks.

Comments

• edited December 2007

Normally, the type of wear pattern that you describe is characteristic of under-inflated tires, but since you are running 37 psi in them, it doesn't sound like they are underinflated. Then again, what is the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation regarding inflation pressure?

You have not told us the type of vehicle this is, and whether it has independent rear suspension or a solid rear axle, so please post back with that information.

In the absence of other information, it sounds like your tires are underinflated, so I am going to advance the possibility that your tire gauge is not accurate.

Also--I have never heard of anyone being able to detect tire wear after just 700 miles. Is it possible that you meant to indicate 7,000 miles?

We really need more information from you.
  • edited December 2007
    37 PSI sounds like a lot of air pressure. What does your owner's manual and the sticker on the driver's door pillar recommend for tire pressure? What kind of vehicle is it? Do you take corners fast? How many miles do you have on your current set of shock absorbers or struts?
  • edited December 2007
    Also check your tire gauge...It is possible your tires are under inflated.
  • edited December 2007
    I agree, wear on the edges is typical of under-inflation. Over inflation normally causes more wear in the center. I usually run mine a little higher than recommended, and have noticed the center wears a tad quicker than the edges.
  • edited December 2007

I couldn't have said it better myself. Oh, wait, I did!
  • edited December 2007
    While I agree with the other posts, wear on the edges can also be a sign of overly enthusiastic cornering, especially if you have independent rear suspension. Provide the year, make , and model AND your driving style. Doing any "doughnuts" lately? Tearing around corners with your pedal to the metal?
  • edited December 2007
    Normally, I'd say tire wear on the inside and outside edges indicates under-inflation, but at 37 PSI, that's not the problem. Who's gauge are we using to measure the tire pressure?

How can you assess tire wear at 700 miles? You haven't told us what car you drive. If you drive a Porsche with high-performance tires that only last 3,000 or 4,000 miles, OK. Otherwise, how can you measure wear after only 700 miles?

We need to know what kind of car you drive. Please enlighten us.
  • edited December 2007
    Under-inflated or vehicle over-loaded.
  • edited December 2007
    This is that chronically plagued Nissan Frontier. Could you clarify exactly how the tires are wearing?
    In your previous posts you said they were wearing on the outside edges only. Are you saying that now they're wearing on both the inner and outer edges of EACH rear tire?

If so, that is caused by underinflation. The tires are now at 37 PSI so does this mean the alignment tech overinflated them a bit to even out the tire wear or did you inflate them?
  • edited December 2007
    37 psi, rear tires wear on the inside and outside edges, 700 miles. I thought you guys are talking about a forklift truck.
This discussion has been closed.