Tires...wearing on both sides?

My back tires are wearing on the in and outsides. They have 700 miles on them and are at 37 psi. Question is, will over-inflated tires cause wear on in and outsides?? Just had another alignment so I’m not sure which is causing it. Thanks.

Normally, the type of wear pattern that you describe is characteristic of under-inflated tires, but since you are running 37 psi in them, it doesn’t sound like they are underinflated. Then again, what is the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation regarding inflation pressure?

You have not told us the type of vehicle this is, and whether it has independent rear suspension or a solid rear axle, so please post back with that information.

In the absence of other information, it sounds like your tires are underinflated, so I am going to advance the possibility that your tire gauge is not accurate.

Also–I have never heard of anyone being able to detect tire wear after just 700 miles. Is it possible that you meant to indicate 7,000 miles?

We really need more information from you.

37 PSI sounds like a lot of air pressure. What does your owner’s manual and the sticker on the driver’s door pillar recommend for tire pressure? What kind of vehicle is it? Do you take corners fast? How many miles do you have on your current set of shock absorbers or struts?

Also check your tire gauge…It is possible your tires are under inflated.

I agree, wear on the edges is typical of under-inflation. Over inflation normally causes more wear in the center. I usually run mine a little higher than recommended, and have noticed the center wears a tad quicker than the edges.

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Oh, wait, I did!

While I agree with the other posts, wear on the edges can also be a sign of overly enthusiastic cornering, especially if you have independent rear suspension. Provide the year, make , and model AND your driving style. Doing any “doughnuts” lately? Tearing around corners with your pedal to the metal?

Normally, I’d say tire wear on the inside and outside edges indicates under-inflation, but at 37 PSI, that’s not the problem. Who’s gauge are we using to measure the tire pressure?

How can you assess tire wear at 700 miles? You haven’t told us what car you drive. If you drive a Porsche with high-performance tires that only last 3,000 or 4,000 miles, OK. Otherwise, how can you measure wear after only 700 miles?

We need to know what kind of car you drive. Please enlighten us.

Under-inflated or vehicle over-loaded.

This is that chronically plagued Nissan Frontier. Could you clarify exactly how the tires are wearing?
In your previous posts you said they were wearing on the outside edges only. Are you saying that now they’re wearing on both the inner and outer edges of EACH rear tire?

If so, that is caused by underinflation. The tires are now at 37 PSI so does this mean the alignment tech overinflated them a bit to even out the tire wear or did you inflate them?

37 psi, rear tires wear on the inside and outside edges, 700 miles. I thought you guys are talking about a forklift truck.

As OK4450 pointed out, this is the same Truck you posting on earlier?

If so, the toe is a problem. This looks like the axle isn’t square to the chassis! This will cause the vehicle to “crab walk” or “dog track”. That will wear one side of one tire and the other side of the other tire on the axle.

BTW, 700 miles for a 2006 isn’t much miles. Are you sure about the mileage?

This is a 2006 Nissan Frontier 2wd w/23500 miles. The rear is solid axle. Have had 4 alignments…each time resulting in different wear paterns on the tires. My rear tires have 700 miles on them and are showing wear on both outer edges. Checked tire pressure and was 37 for both rears. Then lowered them to 34. Max per tire is 35 per tire stampings. Fronts are fine since last alignment - have had 4 alignments. What is the best way to determine suspension damage? This all started after an oil change and I noticed 75 miles more on the odo. Maybe someone took it for a ride over curbs or offroad since the oil change took 1 hour.

If your tires have noticeable wear after only 700 miles, there is something drastically wrong! Since you have a solid rear axle, wheel alignment only really deals with your front wheels.

The only possibilities that I can think of are:

*Tires that are drastically undersized (check the Owner’s Manual for acceptable tire sizes and proper load range!).

*Your rear suspension has been damaged, leading to a “swung” axle.

*Your tire gauge is very far off the mark.

Sigma,

Have you gotten the rear toe fixed? If not, then the alignment techs have really haven’t done the job. I know it’s not easy to deal with the rear axle - and as result many alignment techs don’t want to deal with it - but if they haven’t fixed that, you’re probably going to continue to get wear problems.

Notice, I am disagreeing with VDCDriver on this (See below) NORMALLY, the rear axle isn’t a problem - and NORMALLY, the front end is the only thing you have to worry about - BUT, your other post gave the toe values and they indicated the axle is not square to the chassis - THAT MUST BE FIXED!!

Don’t these alignment shops do a 4 wheel alignment anymore?

I don’t know what to make of this truck anymore due to 2 months of repeated posts about alignment issues.
This latest thread starts with the comment “wear on in and outsides”. What does that mean? The rear tires are wearing on both the inner and outer edges? The other threads made mention of wear on the outer edge only.

Whatever happened to the cam bolts, excessive negative camber on one side (front), the consistent “pull” the truck had, etc.?

The truck has a solid rear axle so there are only 3 explanations for any oddities in camber or toe.

1. The rear axle is tweaked.
  2. The alignment machine is off. With all of the different align. racks involved, who knows what’s what.
  3. There is enough normal slop in the rear axle bearings to allow the very slight readings that are being mentioned or the truck has been curbed, potholed, etc. and a bent wheel, hub/axle is causing the problem.
    Placing the truck on a rack and running the rear wheels while in gear should produce a noticeable wobble if the truck has bent wheels, axles, etc.

Just to clarify here; are the rear tires wearing badly on the inner and outer edges of both rear tires? Underinflation can cause rapid tire wear in 700 miles but something is going to have to be way off suspension wise to wear tires that quickly.

have the frame checked it may have twisted from a wreck or the rear end maybe off center