How can I clean the engine bay?

Summer coming up so gonna give the car a good going over. What is the best way to clean the engine bay?

Thanks
MRO Supply

You can spray it down with a good water based cleaner, but there are problems. First, all the electrical components have to be protected from the water. Then there is the problem of disposal. The water and probably the water based solvent can likely be dumped down the drain, but the stuff you wash off the engine may not be legal. I’d watch out for power washing because it is more likely to push the water stream up under the covers you put on your electronic components.

“Summer coming up so gonna give the car a good going over”

Do you live in The Southern Hemisphere?

Yeah, leaves are even starting to change in Minnesota. I’ve used Gunk before, then spray off with hot water. But you have to be very careful of what you get wet.

Is any special care required if one is cleaning the engine bay of a Marlin?

;-))

My first pass is to get a spray bottle of 409 and a roll of paper towels. I don’t like spraying down my engines with a hose or power washer, I’ve done it maybe once.

I have a professional do it…while I play golf.

I don’t know whether to say anything or not…

Troll Alert

Ditto.
This poster has lost credibility with the incomprehensible post he/she posted on multiple sites, to which he/she never responded to anyone’s questions.

And, exactly WHERE is summer coming up? Here in NH, FALL is coming up.

Something makes no sense here. I suggest this poster be banned from this site. Guys? What say you?

we should at least answer his question.

Answer ; Oven cleaner works great. Spray it on and wait a few days before washing it off.

Yosemite

You’re probably right, yosemite, but I’d still like an explanation from the OP.

I don't know whether to say anything or not..........
Troll Alert
Ditto. This poster has lost credibility with the incomprehensible post he/she posted on multiple sites, to which he/she never responded to anyone's questions.
we should at least answer his question.

Doesn’t hydrochloric acid clean just about anything?? :wink:

Do a search for the text in the OP’s post. You’ll see he posted the identical words to multiple sites. I counted 9 of them.

An excellent suggestion, Pvt. Wash everything down well with straight hydrochloric acid. Then flush the entire engine compartment down well with a garden hose. That’ll get all the grease off.

Yes but its not necessarily for the benefit of the OP. Lots of people that pass this way might also be interested in cleaning under the hood. We should be careful what we say lest someone do serious damage or injury using acids and oven cleaner. Although oven cleaner does work well on saw blades and router bits, some say it harms the metal.

I also find Mattmro to be an irritant and think he should be blocked, But Bing has a valid point that some of the responses might actually cause some uninformed person to do damage to their vehicle. I respectively ask that you consider editing your posts and just ignore this person in the future.

I agree that providing useful answers can help others besides the OP, whether he is a troll or not. I learned that oven cleaner can clean an engine. Thanks, Yosemite.

I agree with Bing, many people search and read these threads for advice/tips. Your offering destructive advice because you don’t like the BOT that has you on a chase.

Do not use hydrochloric acid for cleaning.

Some would be bored without matt, Mountainbike has 15 posts on BOT matts threads.

I am looking forward to the third half of summer. July and August are too hot, September and October are pleasant.

Strange. I waited to see a) what he did and b) what you guys thought. It’s true this account has posted a bunch of places. Anyhow, I blocked him, so that concludes the curious episode of MRO Supply.