Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Costco versus and other gas brands

My Toyota service department says they’ve noticed that over time gasoline from Costco tends to cause more wear on engines because it doesn't have additives like techron or techroline found in some brands of gasoline like Chevron, Texaco or Mobil. Does this make sense?
Tagged:

Comments

• No, it doesn't. Costco would not sell any gasoline that is of inferior quality and set themselves up for lawsuits. Most gasoline is distributed by local refineries, whatever that might be. I have been using Costco gasoline for a long time, not exclusively-but enough to have noticed any potential downside.
  • You're being fed a line of BS by the dealer. No doubt a service writer was the one telling you this.
  • ROTFL

So they have a forensics team there do they? Busy at work all day long dismantling engines and scrutinizing them for wear? And customers busy at work recording where each tank of gas is purchased?

• Costco gas is fine. Was the guy telling you this wearing his tin foil hat? I wonder what other tripe he's been feeding customers.
  • In fact, Costco's gas contains 5 times the detergent level that is required by The EPA, so the allegation is baseless--and bizarre.
  • So you think every tankwagon that pulls up to the loading rack gets a different additive package depending on where the load is going to be delivered?? That's almost comical...That's not how the wholesale gasoline market works....

If you think Shell gasoline has a completely different, proprietary, secret, additive package than Chevron or BoZo's Quick Stop, I've got some news for you..Shell owns BoZo's Quick-Stop and they both get the same gasoline..

It's just not worth the time and effort to screw around with a bunch of additive pumps that must be set differently for each load..Retail gasoline is a standardized product which contains a standardized additive package..The "Rack Price" is the same for everybody...In areas where there is more than one petroleum loading terminal, there may be differences (slight) in product formulations. But the end result is the same.
  • Back in the 1950s, there was always an ongoing argument as to which brand of gasoline was the best. My dad bought gasoline at an independent station that also sold groceries, but did no mechanical work. The proprietor told horror stories about people whose engines were damaged when they used a gasoline that wasn't a major brand. This station sold Gulf gasoline and it was the best until the local Gulf distributor started ripping off the independent dealer. He then switched to Shell gasoline. Our neighbor worked for Standard Oil and was a great supporter of Standard Oil products. At that time, Shell advertised its mileage ingredient TCP. Our neighbor's kids insisted that TCP stood for Tom Cat P**s. I think it really stood for tri-cresso-phosphate. I have no idea what that is or what it does. When I took chemistry, the only known elements were earth, air, fire, and water. At any rate, the mileage on my dad's cars did not improve when his station switched from Gulf to Shell. When I lived in Southern Illinois during the early 1960s, I was advised by a mechanic to "Smartin up with Martin" and buy gasoline from the Martin oil stations that were popular down there. These stations undercut the major brands by a couple of cents a gallon and did a big volume of business. The mechanic recommended the gasoline because he felt that there was less a chance that there was moisture in the tanks since the Martin stations did a big volume business. This might be important in the winter.
  • "In fact, Costco's gas contains 5 times the detergent level that is required by The EPA, so the allegation is baseless--and bizarre. "

There is nothing wrong with Costco's gas, but this statement is not always true. The manager at each Costco store had the option to install the tanks that dispense the additional detergent or not. My local Costco does have this.
  • Sorry caddyman, but "splash blending" of additives is standard procedure at most loading racks, and not just for proprietary additives. Adding of ethanol depending on final destination may be done as well. Fuel distribution is a complicated affair requiring cooperation between competitors. An "Associated" tanker may drive to the BP terminal to get a load to deliver to the Shell station, but the final outcome is that the fuel at a Chevron station is not the same fuel at a Shell or at Costco.
  • "An "Associated" tanker may drive to the BP terminal to get a load to deliver to the Shell station, but the final outcome is that the fuel at a Chevron station is not the same fuel at a Shell or at Costco."

Yes it is...
This discussion has been closed.