Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Timing Chain for 2006 Kia Optima 6 Cylinder

when do I need to replace my timing chain. I have been told 60,000 miles and I have been told 90,000-100,000 miles

• edited December 2010
    Look in your owner's manual. If you have a BELT, it'll tell you when to change it. If you have a CHAIN, it'll likely say nothing at all, since they don't need to be changed.
  • edited December 2010
    Jay has given you good advice, just as Mountainbike and I did when you posted this question earlier.

Take a look at: and you will see that all 3 of us are essentially in agreement.
    If you have an Owner's Manual, you need to read it.

If you don't have an Owner's Manual, you need to get one--for many reasons.
    E-bay is a good source for low-cost manuals.
  • edited December 2010
    You have a timing belt on an interference engine, so change it when your owner's manual says to change it.

• edited December 2010
    I bet it is a belt,espically if it is a 4 cyl. Hey clear something up (I am being lazy), what was the idea behind the CA ruling on shops not allowed to try and sell timing belts before 105,000 miles?
  • edited December 2010
    Goldwing is correct. You can find this information at:

If you follow instructions, you will eventually get a table that tells you it is an interference engine that uses a timing belt. Your owner's manual has the information in the maintenance section. I would guess it's somewhere around 90,000 miles. If you don't have your owner's manual, check the Kia web site. The manuals are often available for download.
  • edited December 2010
    Hyundai and Kia both have 60k belts.
This discussion has been closed.