Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Pontiac Vibe ECM recall

Has anyone else had their ECM/PCM replaced under this safety recall? My check engine light has been turning on and off and reports the code P0741. I have also experienced abrupt shifting and gear slipping when accelerating, especially in low gears. My dealership replaced my transmission last year however the problem persists. I'm stumped!

Comments

• edited October 2010
    So has the pcm been replaced? There is a tsb on this problem, and the problem is highly probable wrong pcm, however there has been one fix with this code that did not involve pcm replacement. That was the trans pressure regulator.
  • edited October 2010
    See if the part number of your ECM is on the list at the bottom of this document:

http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6058&d=1283055673

The ECM is located behind the glove compartment, small metal box with a B&W label.
  • edited November 2010
    circuitsmith

I can't access the document you directed to. Can you copy and paste on a reply or send another link? Will the EMC on all recalled Vibes be replaced or only those with a specific manufacturing code?

Thanks
    mlzamp
  • edited November 2010
    I did not look this particular problem up but I will advise that you do not get confused over the differences between Recalls, TSBs, and Campaigns. This comment is only made due to your referencing this as a safety recall.

Recalls mean that any repair will be free of charge to you.
    TSBs generally mean there is only a technical service bulletin is sent out to the dealers about a particular problem, change in this or that, etc. These are sent out in droves.
    A Campaign is a voluntary PR Recall of sorts by the car maker that is subject to time and mileage constraints.

• edited January 2011
    I have a 2006 Vibe purchased at about 30k miles. This summer we noticed some rough shifting when the car first started and kind of a 'wind-up' toy sound. We received the 'recall' in Sept2010 about the PCM, which mentioned 'harsh shifting' as one of the symptoms of a failed PCM. The letter mentioned possible dangerous conditions, so we decided to park the car, that our kids normally drive. The car was purchased for our teens. After waiting and calling the customer service number for Pontiac for three months, I finally got tired of waiting and took the car in to an authorized GMC dealer to see what was going on. To my suprise, and consternation they say the car needs a rebuilt transmission for $6500.00. My question is , could the PCM malfuntioning be responsible for the transmission failing at 57k miles? I was told 'no' by Mr. Goodwrench. The car has been with Mr. Goodwrench waiting for a response from the higher-ups at GM.
  • edited January 2011
    Ok - if you're supposed to have any recall work done, then have it done - and then get out of there. $6500 for a transmission? Was that a typo? Are they going to gold plate it? I think that's the "the sales department would love to show you our new...." price.

I am not familiar with this recall. But if the car is covered under it, have the work done. Then if the car isn't shifting well, take it to a reputable, local, independent transmission shop.
  • edited January 2011
    I would think you can also take it to a Toyota dealership, since the Vibe is the Toyota Matrix.
  • edited January 2011
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm?type=VEHICLE&SearchType=DrillDown&step=2

Click on the link and follow the instructions. If your car is not listed in this database, there is no recall.
  • edited January 2011
    That was the price quoted. After a week sitting waiting for the upper management at GM Customer service, they said they would give me $500 off parts and $500 off labor. I told them I'll wait for the class action lawsuit. After noticing the number of vibes with transmissions replaced ( some twice!), I think they might have one coming. There seems to be a number of failues due to this PCM( which the official recall is not out), or a pressure solenoid. The car is back with a local mechanic. He thinks he can rebuild my transmission for <$1500. So much for the new GM. I also checked with Toyota on their equivalent recall for the matrix. Our local dealer said they completed it months ago.
  • edited January 2011
    GM had to wait for parts from Toyota, who controls the parts system for the Vibe and Matrix. GM sent a letter to their dealers in early December stating that they would not have enough parts to replace all the PCMs until mid-January 2011. Toyota is the one messing with your replacement schedule. If you want to take issue with GMs choice of a partner, that's OK. But blame Toyota for keeping the parts from you.
This discussion has been closed.