Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

A compact or subcompact car that is quiet and has a good ride.

Is there such a thing as a compact or subcompact car that is quiet (on the inside)and has a decent ride.

I love my 2000 Hyundai Accent but it's noisy and rattles like an old jalopy!

• edited August 2010
    Just about every new compact or subcompact will be a huge improvement over your 10-year-old Accent. Time for some test drives.
  • edited August 2010
    Just stay away from Ford Fiesta, Honda Fit, and Mazda2 with a 10 foot pole.
  • edited August 2010
    I disagree strongly about the Fiesta, every report I've read has it with an excellent ride. Certainly worth a test drive.
  • edited August 2010
    I agree the ford fiesta is worth a look. Top gear gave it high marks, and I personally like it. Good gas millage, and 1.8l engine. I, of course, am talking about the new one, not the old ones.
  • edited August 2010
    They don't do particularly well in the various reliability and cost of ownership indeces, but VW's ride very nicely for small cars in their price range.
  • edited August 2010
    A regular (non sports) Toyota Corolla will give you the best ride for the money. The Civic and Mazda 3 are great cars but a lot noisier than the Corolla. I would stay away from any Volkswagen unless you are a mechanic or a mechanical engineer.

The new Ford Fiesta and Mazda 2 get high marks for quiet ride as well, but they have buzzy engines unless in top gear.

As stated almost anything will will be a lot quieter and dignified than you current car, even a new Hyundai ACCENT!!!
  • edited August 2010
    At least half of ride quality and road noise is due to tires. I've found Yokohama Avid tires offer much better ride and lower noise compared to others. Give Hyundai Sonata, Mazda 3/6 or Honda Civic/Accord a try.

• edited August 2010

The Nissan Versa!
  • edited August 2010
    I have a Honda Fit Sport that I love. Normally I preach the gospel of the Fit, but it might not be the vehicle for you if noise and ride are a concern. Man it corners well, though. Good luck in your search.
  • edited August 2010
    I picked up a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt LS in February 2010. The seats leave a bit to be desired, but the ride is excellent and the interior is very quiet. It was not even on my list at the time, but $5500 in rebates on a 17.6k car made it hard to resist. Six months later, I do not have buyer's remorse. It's going in for its first warranty repair, a leak in the headlight housing, otherwise no mechanical or driveability issues. Not the most exciting car on the road, but it gets the job done.

Ed B.
This discussion has been closed.