Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Crankshaft Position Sensor?? 2005 Kia Sorento

So the check engine light came on right after a timing belt change. I was told that the light codes either the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft position sensor. Being that I recently had issues and had to replace the crank gear, it seems to be the former. Are there any other possible causes? I am pretty sure that the engine light was not on prior to changing the crank gear or timing belt.
<br/>
<br/> One more thing..I just unhooked the battery (for about 20 min), and when I first start it up, the engine light is out. However, if I turn it off and restart it the light comes back on. I did this twice with the same result.
<br/>
<br/> Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Posting the actual code (format: P1234) would be particularly helpful. There are lots of codes having to do w/ these. None of them point at parts - they point at signal anomalies in circuits. So don't assume that you need either one of these sensors.

Just as a starter guess though, perhaps it was something in the range of P0016-P0019 - which refers to the cam/crank signal correlation? This could very well indicate that the timing belt installation didn't go that well. How is the car running?
  • edited August 2010
    Sorry about not posting the code...I will try to get that tomorrow. The car seems to be running fine. It seems to be idling a little rough (v. slight vibration).
This discussion has been closed.