Restoring a Deep Cycle Battery with EDTA

Has anyone tried using a chemical compound called “EDTA” to remove sulfation from abused lead-acid batteries?? There are those who claim a sulfated battery can be “restored” by using this chemical…But I am skeptical that trying this is worth the time and effort…

Why not try this first?

http://rollsbatteryne.com/docs/A%20Sulfated%20Battery.pdf

A controlled overcharging is being attempted at the present time, and is showing signs of hope but it’s a slow process…A high charge rate is needed to break down the sulfate deposits that formed when the battery was left in a discharged state for almost a year…This is a fairly new, expensive deep cycle battery so it’s worth the effort…The high charge rate results in the battery heating up and the attempt must be terminated to avoid damaging the battery further…But the batteries overall condition is indeed improving…I am aware of the special “desulfating” battery chargers that use a series of high current pulses to drive the sulfate back into solution…Many battery tinkerers build their own…

The EDTA chemical “Battery Restorer” claims to work by stripping the sulfate off the plates and in the end the resulting sulfur compound is deposited into the bottom of the battery, permanently lowering the S.G. of the electrolyte which lowers the capacity of the battery…The theory being that half a loaf is better than none, a last ditch procedure…The real battery nuts will then dump the electrolyte, flush the cells, and refill with fresh acid at the proper S.G. claiming the battery will then perform as new…I have no intention of taking this project this far…

Rolls by the way makes some very high quality deep cycle storage batteries…

I hope it works out, Caddyman.

I have never tried to save a battery, as they are pretty much disposable items. Sure you can try it, sure you can try new acid, I have heard certain companies do a similar refurbish, but it will never be as good as a new quality battery replacement. There is a point where all the what ifs etc are not worth the hassle.

Wear eye protection when you’re nearby force-feeding this thing.

I’ve never used the product you mention but have tried various other products and tweaks over the years in attempts to coax a battery a bit further. In a few cases, it bought a little questionable time is all. In most cases nothing helped.

The most success I ever had at resucitating a lousy battery was on an old Harley 6 volt H3 battery which would refuse to hold a charge at all and no one around had a replacement. I wanted to go riding so I dumped the electrolyte out and filled it with a can of warm, outdated beer; Milwaukee’s Best or something like that. Whether that’s beer or not is debateable but it’s brewed in the same place the bike was built. :slight_smile:
It took a charge and kept me going for another 4 or 5 months. Go figure.

My brother uses Alka Seltzer in old batteries. He claims it works most of the time. He uses club soda instead of water.

Here is the EDTA product…

Some claim success with Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) too…

The battery I’m messing with is responding favorably to controlled over-charging, a two hour charge at a C-20 rate. I do this once a day and the float voltage climbs each time…When I started it was 11.80 After 3 sessions on the charger it now maintains 12.65, the specific gravity also slowly coming up as the sulfate is driven back into solution. This is a 3 year old Exide Nautilus deep cycle group 27 trolling motor battery, 100 AH, $150 each…it was used very little, but left to its own for the last 18 months…I got it as a gift…I will probably hold off on the EDTA treatment as it’s strictly a last resort method…It has little application for car batteries…