Would you trust a self-driving car to make ethical decisions

I lold at your meme

1 Like

It goes the other way too. The majority of people, myself not included, use cell phones even though they’re repeatedly shown to significantly increase cancer risk. You listed several technological advances that were handy. But remember that there are plenty of harmful technological and social ‘advances’ too: social networking springs to mind as another example.

Nonsense. There is no clear risk. Some concerns, but the studies show no clear link. Absolutely NOT “shown to significantly increase cancer risk.”

Here are the facts:

1 Like

Would you like to share more than just your opinion? A few references would be nice.

I am well aware of the scenario. Rarely is the argument all-or-nothing. While I prefer my progeny not to be tied to an assembly job, I don’t wish they avoid actually producing product. We will never be total service economy unless the government continues making it harder and harder to open a business and actually make things in the US. Regulation nation stifles innovation and creation. (Rhyme it like you MEAN it! :wink:)

We still make things in the US. LOTS of things. But we make them with far, far less labor that we did before. Much like the migration from farms over a hundred years ago, some workers will need to find something else to do. Cars take about 23 hours to build instead of about 70. So 2/3rds of the autoworkers no longer have jobs. We do have quite a few more manufacturers building cars here in the us. The Germans, Koreans and the Japanese make cars here. BMW is the largest exporter of cars made in the USA. Samsung makes appliances in the US. While many manufacturing jobs are gone, never to return, that doesn’t mean we don’t make things.

And as far as China goes. Would you kill the goose laying those golden eggs? China destroying our monetary system is much like putting a gun to their own heads. It could happen but likely it won’t. They still have a half billion people to raise to the upper-middle class.

As I feel further discussion is fruitless, we shall just have to agree to disagree and end the discussion here.

1 Like

Social Networking may not always be the best thing, but I certainly wouldn’t call it a “harmful” social advancement.

China affecting the American monetary system is much less like putting a gun to its own head, and much more like pointing it your way. They have their own currency. For now, yes, as you point out, you are shooting out golden eggs (debt) and using it to pay for junk from China. At present you are useful to them as you are the largest consumers of the junk they send you. However, it is worth noting that you do not want to outlive your usefulness in that situation, and even more importantly, it’s better to avoid a situation like that in the first place, in part by – and I strongly agree with you on this point – governemental policies that stimulate growth, and in particular, manufacturing. I tried to end on a note we could agree upon as we clearly have different outlooks upon many other issues, but that’s ok. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would. I think it’s an inauthentic and garbage way to spend your time.

You mean like ranting on a forum?

1 Like

Says a guy spouting off on a forum

edit
@VOLVO_V70 beat me to it!

@cdaquila I think it’s time to pull the cord on this topic
 @oogabooga grow up

Sorry I just can’t stand that Volvo guy. Anyway, to your earlier point regarding social media: forums are better. You interact with strangers, have debates about interesting (or at least I find them interesting) topics, learn something, or at least challenge your own opinion. The whole point of this open-ended thread (ethics & self-driving cars, with a fun detour into manufacturing and economics) was to get a lively intellectual discussion going.

Social media on the other hand is designed to enhance narcissism, concern with status and appearance, and provide a platform for acquaintances to massage each other’s egos and count your ‘likes’. Your equating a forum discussion with social media is an apples to oranges – no, prize-winning watermelons to shriveled grapes – comparison.

Not all Social Media is bad or promoting of narcissism. What about sites such as Link’d In? Facebook has it’s challenges (I was on in one of the original iterations of it when you had to have an @university.edu email address to be on it, and I do miss that time
), but it’s not all bad. Same with Twitter or any other social media sites.

Also, why would a forum not be social media areas? On twitter, for instance, I can interact with strangers, have debates about interesting topics, learn something, and challenge my opinions with others. I used to do this quite a bit when I did sports radio. You can still have intellectual discussions, true some people are trolls, but those exist anywhere on the internet.

You can’t have an intellectual discussion in 160 characters or whatever it is. President Trump is the epitome of what social media is all about: me, me, me.

To your other point, I will concede that I can’t find anything inherently wrong with Linkedin.

Oogabooga, this is an automotive advice forum.
Would you go to WebMD for a car problem?
Did you come here to get car advice or to try to change the forum?
Or do you think that every forum in the world should be a social media forum?