Women are safer drivers than men!

Feh! Boring women drivers! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjeY7QomTvw

Yeah I think 45 would be stall speed. Russian I think but I prefer straight and level flight.

Svetlana Kapanina is like Russiaā€™s ā€œPatty Wagstaffā€. Iā€™m surprised that reporter she took up was able to keep his lunch down. At one point he said ā€œplease donā€™t do that againā€.

He probably knew enough to eat after the wild ride.

Sheā€™s a great pilot and I hate to be a pessimist, but I am rooted in reality and therefore Iā€™m reminded of the adage thatā€™s as old aviation itself.

"There are bold pilots and there are old pilotsā€¦
But, there are no old, bold pilots!"

I hope that she lives to retire and we arenā€™t reading about the day she augers in. There are other factors besides pilot skill or lack of it, that come into play in aviation accidents. Itā€™s tricky to have just a minor incident when one cheats the odds doing that type of flying. Each successful, incident free flight, encourages a bold pilot.

Let me just say, She is a great bold pilot!
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

I never turned as green with nausea as I did when flying pretend aerobatics in a virtual reality flight simulator for a couple of minutes, which proves that motion sickness has nothing at all to do with motion. Itā€™s actually disorientation sickness. Many astronauts find that experiencing zero g is nauseating, when thereā€™s no gravity, thereā€™s no such thing as ā€œdownā€ and thatā€™s extremely disorienting.

I do my aerobatic flying from the ground. If I auger it in, itā€™s only money.

1 Like

I was into RC airplanes a few decades back. I still have some hanging in the garage up north, an Ugly Stick, seaplane (I flew on the lake in my front yard), Big Birdie glider, etcetera. I still have the K&Bs, Enyas, and Kraft radio, too, but those frequencies were given up years ago.

A guy near where I live up there (very rural) had an airplane and he made his own grass runway at his house and kept his airplane in a hangar at his house. He frequently commuted to Texas and back from his backyard.

In exchange for taking our mowers over and cutting his landing strip for him, we were free to fly RC there. It was a great spot and I have lots of good memories from that hobby. I have even travelled to Ohio for the big RC convention, too.

At the time, we never knew that we were flying drones. Go figure!
CSA

The vast majority of ā€œbold pilotsā€ that failed to reach old age, didnā€™t die because they were hot dogging it, but because they decided to fly when the weatherman said ā€œstay on the groundā€. Pea soup fog? No problem! I can fly by memory!

Thereā€™s a scientific reason why women mature earlier than men. Women are from Venus and Men are from Mars, and a Mars year is 668 days long and a Venus year is 225 days long. Iā€™m only 36 in Mars years!

Yep, one of the worst examples was an American Airlines crash in Arkansas during a terrible storm. All criteria demanding the pilot divert were in place, but he forced it in over the protestations of his co-pilot. The pilot? One of the most senior American personnel, responsible for checking out other pilots!

Thatā€™s all part of bold pilot. I had taken that into account earlier when I said, "There are other factors besides pilot skill or lack of it, that come into play in aviation accidents. "
CSA

I was returning home from a business trip with two colleagues. Our airline cancelled the flight because of thunderstorms on the way. We asked the gate agent to rebook us, and he said no one was flying. We asked at another airline gate, and they said they were flying. We thought it was odd that the first agent wouldnā€™t help us. About half way home, it got very rough. Iā€™ve flown over a million miles since then, and never had a rougher flight. At one point, we plummeted for what seemed like and eternity. We must have dropped about 1000 feet. The plan was flat when it dropped, not nose down. At 35,000 feet, thereā€™s still a lot of air underneath, but you donā€™t know when youā€™re going to stop when the plane drops. Fortunately, all the passengers were buckled in. Unfortunately, the flight attendant was in the aisle. She went up, or maybe she stayed still when the plane dropped. I think she bounced off the ceiling and ended up laying across an empty row. I guess the rest of the trip was rough, but it didnā€™t seem that way. After that down draft, I decided maybe the original gate agent knew something.