Winter warm up

Can someone clarify why longer warm ups are bad?

1. It wastes gas.
    b. It increases blow by, or in other words, particulate matter in the oil.
    III. It can contribute to longer exposure to gas washdown of the cylinder walls leading to increased ring wear.

1. It wastes gas.
b. It increases blow by, or in other words, particulate matter in the oil.
III. It can contribute to longer exposure to gas washdown of the cylinder walls leading to increased ring wear.

D. It also results in more condensation.

Good list TwinTurbo, What would we use if there is a fifth reason?

I was thinking the same thing.

I REALLY think that the OP should adopt my method of driving around the block slowly once or twice before having to merge onto the freeway. I don’t know about traffic conditions on the expressways in the OP’s neck of the woods, but where I live, it is sometimes necessary to get the tach up to 4,000 RPMs in order to avoid the 18 wheelers while merging. High revs should be avoided with a cold engine and a cold transmission, IMHO.

I Would Use A *

*My wife does not believe that getting into a warm car with defrosted windows as opposed to a cold car that one can’t see out of is a waste of gas. That’s one of our reasons for buying gas.

When Did The Auto Club Of Europe Become The Authority?

Our vehicles are replaced when they become too rusty. They usually top 300,000 miles and do not consume a quart of oil in 5,000 miles. Where’s the engine wear or damage? Proof is in the pudding. I don’t get my information from an Auto Club.

P.S. I should put in a qualifier, though. We buy only Big 3 cars. That could make a difference.

America, What A Country!

Thank You For Your Support!

“Use common sense, always.”

Heres what I usually do, when it gets below 15-20 degrees I let the car warm up for about 10-15 minutes before driving it, that way the windshield gets defrosted a bit and my driveway enters a us highway, so its 0-55 mph and some days you better do it quick. When idling you really don’t warm up the differential (if Rwd) or wheel bearings but at least the engine and transmission get a bit. I drive a 2004 civic which is a Ulev and gets 35-42 mpg so I don’t worry to much about wasting fuel. And sometimes I can’t help but chuckle when I see johnny reb in his 4x4 pickup or soccer mom jane in her tahoe off the road when it gets a little icy, and here i am tooling around in my little civic just fine.
In my 93 toyota pickup 4cy 5 speed, I must warm it up for about 20 minutes in 10 degree or less weather because the transmission fluid is like mollassas on a cold day and I cannot shift it very easily when its that cold. I am using the lightest reccomended oil for the trans as well.
If I don’t warm the cars up I just drive them gently for a few miles, trying to avoid over 4k rpms and high load.

• My friends in Europe almost all own GMs and Fords, so your argument in terms of Big 3 is moot.

• Do you take issue with the fact that it’s an Auto Club or that it’s from Europe that makes this recommendation?

• With regards to the “proof in the pudding” you are right: I don’t think that any of this has any substantial effect on engine wear or damage as long as you are not trying to reach 500K miles with it. It’s probably a pretty academic discussion about miniscule differences.

If a person can afford the money to blow 10 minutes worth of gas in the air and does not get nightmares about it because of the environment and their checking acocunt - power to them. I guess the point is: There is no benefit in warming the car up - just creature comfort.