Winter tires, necessary? And recommendations

All season tires cannot be characterized the same way. Some are very quite. You need to look at tire reviews and choose one that fills your needs best.

The Hankook Optimo H727 is a very quiet tire with great winter handling. I’m not a Hankook salesman, but I got a set and am very impressed with them. They’ll work great on the Civic and will be very quiet.

PS…don’t take my word for it, go to Tirerack.com and read the reviews and user survey results.

Go to TireRack on the internet or DiscountTireDirect. Both have reasonably priced winter tires along with user reviews. If your local garage can mount and balance them for $10 to $15 a tire then you are golden. Or you can order them on a set of wheels (like I do) with the TPMS sensors mounted and then you can switch your tires out seasonally yourself without going to a garage.

A good set of “All-Seasons” is all you need…Anymore, if conditions get bad enough to where you need Winter Tires, they close the roads anyway…95% of the time, you are going to be driving on dry roads…In any case, you don’t want to be driving to Washington with a big snow-storm threatening…

Buy a set of wheels and tires from Tire Rack - ready mounted and balanced !