Winter/summer tire pressure

You’d have to be on an extremely steep hill to shift enough weight off the front wheels to the rear to make a difference.

I would have though so too. :thinking:

Are we ever going to hear where she got that wrong info and have you told her to use the door plaque or at least talk to the tire shop ?

1 Like

Don’t know. She’s out of state right now and won’t be home for a while. I’ll probably forget by then.

I have heard from old-time Mainers that when they were kids they were warned not to touch the wires hanging between poles…because the piled snow would be that high!

2 Likes

I remember moving to ND wondering why so many old houses had a door on the second floor with no porch or balcony, first winter there I figured out why!

2 Likes

In Minnesota doors swing in. I Florida doors swing out. One for snow, the other for high wind I guess. It’s been many many years since we have had snow like that though. More like 40 inches a year compared to 200.

2 Likes

Back in the day…in northern half of Maine…I was told that school children had to be warned to not touch the hanging wires along the road. Between the ice weighing the wires down and the snow banks lifting the kids up, not a good situation.

I was not there, or course…

Overinflating tires by that much in winter is as much a myth as deflating tires “for more traction” in snow!

I guess you could gain more bite in the frozen stuff by upping cold pressure 1-2psi, but that’s alll.

My garage is rarely under 50 but I remember losing about 5 pounds when the car sat out in ten below weather. So kinda hard to tell what to put them at so I just put a little in if the get a little low. Not something I lose sleep over.

My vehicle is supposed to have 33 psi all around, but I purposely inflate them to 36 psi when the temp is… temperate. When the temp drops, they are at 34-35 psi, and on warmer days they are at 38 psi, which is definitely not problematic.

I seem to recall a forumula from chemistry class, P* V = nRT, P == pressure, V = volume, n is the amount of gas molecules, R is proportionality constant, and T is temperature in deg Kelvin.

Same eqn, rearranged P = n * R * T/V

Physics says tire P would fall with lower temperatures. A hot day is around 300 deg K, and a freezing temperature is around 273 deg K, so could figure out the pressure difference from that.

It’s not “kinda hard”, actually. Add 1 PSI for every 10 degrees difference between the garage temperature and the low temperature outside. In the case you just described, they should be 6 PSI over in your garage to be correct when they’re outside.

I lived north of Hancock.

Not only did the houses have exit doors on the second floor the snow got so deep,

but they also built bridges from the front door to the street in hopes of still being able to throw the shoveled snow on top of the snow banks.

Tester

1 Like

I remember when highway 41 north of Hancock in winter was like driving in a tunnel with a skylight. Four of us rented two snowmobiles up in Calumet one day. After my turn, while waiting for the other guys on what we thought was an empty field, my buddy started calling for help. It took me awhile to find him, he had stepped on top of a tree, the snow gave way and he fell in.

Went to Suomi College, now called Finlandia University. Todays students all wear ball caps with FU on them.

1 Like

I used to help w/snow-slide search and rescues at ski resorts when a skier got swept away and buried by the snow. We rescuers were told to focus on the tree trunks, creates a sort of hole in the snow that a person can be thrown into.