Winter driving trouble, Google Maps Fail!

Not to be obvious but take a look at the paper map and it will say “Official Map of (pick your state)” At least the ones printed by the state. That’s the official map. As nice as the electronic versions can be, they aren’t yet the official maps.

2 Likes

Paper Map? I tried to find one for an area I was visiting a couple years ago…nope. Easier to use one of the maps I can access on my laptop like maps.google.com. You can get as detailed as you want.

the only place I’ve found them anymore is the AAA office. And I’ve used them more to cut apart to give as gifts than for navigation over the past 20 years.

Like I said if you drive the interstates, you’ll find them in the welcome centers. Not in airports or train stations though.

The official state maps are still available at some of the Intestate Highway rest areas adjacent to the state borders, at least they were in 2019 which is the last time I tried to get any.

If you are going to rely on the Google maps app, be aware that you can download offline maps for use in places that do not have a cellular data signal.

Picked one up a couple weeks ago so still there.

I usually use the navigation system but many times it will direct me one way, but I will say nope, I’m going this way. Easier determining the desired route laying a paper map out at home and studying it. Hard to do that on a computer or phone. I found a new route through Indiana that way, that I might try.

1 Like

I use that feature when we go up north to my family’s cabin. Signal strength is not great up in the mountains in northern PA

Yup!
A couple of years ago, I picked one up at one of the rest stops on the NY Thruway, along with some brochures for various historic and recreational sites in NY State. I haven’t yet used the map, but I can verify that they were still available a couple of years ago, and are likely still available.

But those maps don’t help much on the ‘last mile’, the city streets leading to my final destination. Google maps handles all scales with no effort or multiple maps.

1 Like

Well true. However I use the paper maps to plot my inter-state routes from city to city, state to state. Once you are in the city then Siri or whoever and navigation is helpful. I use the Navigation though for the whole trip and has nice features with mileages, services along the way and so on. I like to have an overall picture of where I am going and my routes as well as alternatives depending on weather conditions. But sure once you are in Boston, trying to find your way, you can’t use a paper map. We are talking about navigational aids with each having their place and usefulness. Using only one is not necessary or advisable.

Speaking of “Welcome Centers” does anyone have a clue as to why the Virginia Welcome Center on 95S is over 50 miles from the nearest state border? Maryland that is.

That “last mile” is the whole ballgame for me. I can get from where I live to highways and I can get from here to almost where I want to be, but the freeway exit and the city streets are the challenge. And that’s where nav systems shine, but like I said, I have to use them again to get back to the highway entrance.

If I want to take a more scenic route or use local roads and blue highways it’s got to be planned in advance and a paper map is the way I do that, but then again I learned when that’s all there were. I’m hanging on to an old road atlas.

3 Likes

I am so much in love with my Garmin, except when picking shortest route, There I was towing a boat down a single lane dirt road.

4 Likes

Yep Barkydog, that has happened to me.
There is so much new road construction where I live I do need to update my Garmin before any drive to an area I have not visited before.
I will also use Google Earth to see buildings and landmarks in the area,

1 Like

This is just a guess, but perhaps a state legislator with more influence than others was able to pressure the state’s Dept of Transportation (or Division of Tourism?) to place it in his/her district in order to generate a few more jobs in his/her district. The location or relocation of federal facilities over the years has largely been based on which Senators had the most influence, so the same process might be taking place on the state level in VA.

The other problem I have with Paper maps is to provide enough detail the map really has to have extremely small print. Especially for cities. With an app like maps.google.com I can get the 1,000 foot level view (like in paper maps), but I can zoom into specific areas for more detail. And I can get a street view to actually show me the building that I’m looking for.

Even with its screw-ups, Google Maps enabled law enforcement officials in Italy to track down a long-time fugitive, and bring him to justice. I just hope that they don’t use a Fiat to carry him back to Italy, because that might give him one more opportunity to escape when the police vehicle breaks down. :wink:

1 Like