Will my car make it cross country?

Sorry @dagasa - But as long as the vehicle is well maintained…then 1500 miles shouldn’t be a problem. Obviously if you don’t know the maintenance history…then all bets are off.

@Mike‌InNH no need to apologize, I agree. I feel like you. If a car has been giving good service for many consecutive periods of 3 to 5k miles between oil changes, it should be fine on the open road. I am hesitant that that period of time is only a year.

We did a 7000 mile trip through the US and Canada in a 10 year old Buick station wagon with over 100,000 miles on the clock pulling our tent trailer.

I had checked the car out beforehand, and the only problem encountered was a burned spark plug cable which we fixed at a local Walmart service center for about $15.

Fortunately, those Buicks were popular and any other part would have been easy to obtain. With a semi-orphan vehicle like this you have to plan well ahead.

Just kick the tire and light the fires and go. But instead of using suitcases, pack all your stuff into a backpack or backpack for each person, that way if you have a major breakdown, you can junk the vehicle and walk to the nearest bus station to get home.

If the PM (preventative maintenance) has been done on schedule and you feel you can drive across town, then you can drive across country.

BTW, by kick the tires and light the fires, I really mean check the tire pressure, oil level and coolant level.