Why would a driver do this?

solipsism -

I had to look that up. You’re so mean.

Some people (Boston, I hear…) say using your turn signal “is giving information to the enemy.” Not a sane way to drive on shared roads, of course.

4 Likes

The first thing I ask myself, is my car a dark color and visibility not good, i.e. rain, fog, dusk, dawn, and I don’t have any lights on.

It’s amazing to me that DOT operates like a clueless bureaucracy stuck in the Dark Ages. They’ll mandate a dozen computer systems, backup cameras, and they act like they’ve never seen a car going down the road with no lights when they need them.

Running lights are still not mandated, manufacturers often include them only with high trim option packages, they never include rear running lights, and it would only cost a few dollars extra.

1 Like

DOT can’t do anything about fools that won’t replace lights when they burn out. The police can, though. In MD, the police will stop you for burned out running lights and issue a repair summons. Get it repaired in two weeks and then have it inspected at any state or local police station. They sign off on it and you send the paperwork in to erase the violation. If you don’t do this, it elevates to a ticket and they put out an alert for your car.

2 Likes

Are you in Upstate New York? As was said earlier, “they are the only person who matters…in the entire world.” I see it all to often, especially in “low income” neighborhoods, the quest to be in front makes up for the lack of a decent job, or education, it gives them power.

So how does that explain the well to do people who also drive in a manner that is not acceptable ?
Sorry Seebear , but you just can’t put all people in a category because even those that don’t meet your narrow view can be good citizens.

5 Likes

My standard response to those who signal halfway through their turn as opposed to those who do not signal at all is: “Why bother. You have already spoiled the surprise”.

3 Likes

… and now you are on their butts and they “think” you are tail-gatting them! So what do these morons do? Slam on their brakes in hopes you might think they are “tough guys” !!! Those idiots who slam on brakes when they are IMPEDING progress should be hog tied and water boarded creating unsafe situations for ALL drivers!

I HATE idiot drivers who drive in the left lane below the flow rate. So those who pull out in front of me … :scream:!

#stayRIGHTunlessPASSING !!!

You’ve definitely got some anger issues . . .

4 Likes

People are just careless or inconsiderate. I remember many years ago, I was driving my 1991 Toyota Tercel on a road with a speed limit of 50, and was really going about 60, and this woman driving a Ford Windstar van ran a stop sign and pulled out into my path. I hit her on the driver’s side, and my car was completely destroyed.

I was really upset, because I had paid a lot of money to have the engine replaced a little over a year before. The only good thing was that she was injured and I walked away without a scratch. Since the accident was legally her fault, I didn’t have to worry about her injuries or the damage to her vehicle.

Now, I drive a lot more pessimistically, with my finger over the horn, and anticipate needing to slam on the brakes when some idiot pulls out or turns into my path, because I really want to avoid another accident.

I can’t let that statement slide . Just because a mistake is made no matter the reason there is no reason to enjoy a persons injuries .

7 Likes

Agree with @VOLVO_V70 and others. The generalization is unwarranted.

2 Likes

Karma happened today.

It happened to me today. I’m doing the speed limit (rare) 55 on a 4 lane highway. A person crossing a parking lot was slowing down at the entrance to the highway so I thought they were going to stop, but suddenly pulled out about 100’ in front of me. I immediately braked and swerved into the left lane and the other driver also started into the left lane. I honked because no way was I going to stop in time.

Who knew the driver behind me that almost hit me when I braked was a cop. Blue lights came on but the driver, now behind me would not stop. After a couple of miles, the cop finally forced him(her) over.

9 Likes

Hey, maybe 2020 is going to be a good year :slight_smile:

Your supersize is someone else’s just barely big enough. Don’t rush them, people should know the limits of their own ability. Err on the side of safety, we will all benefit.