Why is my MPG so inconsistent?

528 feet, hey, what a co-incidence. I think I heard on the radio yesterday that’s the length of Noah’s Ark! On the radio they said somebody in Kentucky apparently has build a full-size replica for tourists to see. I think that would be pretty interesting. If I’m ever in Kentucky again I plan to pay a visit. I don’t think they’ll let me test the 6 second thing tho … lol …

I’m always aware of my driving behaviors and closely monitor my mileage. On days when I feel monetarily challenged (poor), I drive softly. On days when I feel peppy, I drive peppy. That, plus weather and driving route makes my mileage is usually pretty close to what I expect it to be. 70mph on a clear highway to the beach on a nice summer day with the cruise control on gives me a consistent 30mpg. Crossing the mountains drops it some. Driving through roads clogged with drivers exhibiting the usual wide range of intelligence drops it a bit more. Feelin’ spunky… well, you know the drill.

I drive the same route (58 miles) twice a week, usually at the same speeds, off peak. So I get a very consistent 34-35 MPG in the summer. Winter it drops to as low as 28, depending on temp.

(15 Forester, smallest engine)

I have a hard time seeing a V6 Ford Fusion getting mileage in the high-20s

I think we have covered this a number of times. The only way to get an accurate MPG reading in the first place is to gas up to the first click at your favorite gas pump. Then when you are ready to refill go TO THE SAME PUMP at that station and fill up to the first click. Individual pumps vary a great deal as to when they shut off.

Then with the next fill up do the same thing. No two readings will be exactly the same since your driving pattern and the weather may differ.

On a long trip when I have to tank at different station, I still start out at my favorite pump and at the end of the trip back home I top up at that same pump. Then I add up all the gallons and compare them to the total distance drive, giving me a good trip reading. Such trips at highway speeds always give good PG because of the very few cold starts and little use of brakes.

On the highway I’d expect high 20s from a V6 Fusion, that’s what my ES300 did.
But in town, more like 20 for mine.