Why drive a manual?

Not all automotive automatics use planetary gears. On many front wheel drive cars the automatic transmissions are built like constant mesh manuals only using hydraulic clutch packs doing the job of synchronizers and dog clutches found in manuals.
There are also crash box constant mesh gearboxes without synchros used on race cars and motorcycles.
Then there are non-constant mesh gearboxes where the gears slide in and out of engagement on splined shafts. These are used mostly on farm tractors and metal turning lathes.
Then there are continuously variable friction drives used on snowmobiles and let’s not forget dual clutch transmissions where one clutch powers the even numbered gears and the other powers the odd numbered gears where the next gear is pre engaged and ready for its clutch engagement while the present gear is driving. These can be automatic or manual.

It seems today that the average IQ of drivers has plummeted faster than thought possible.
It’s like the keeping your hands at 10 and 2 position… not a good idea in a aggressive driving condition. An automatic takes away from the driving experience, plus for the most part the transmission is always in the wrong gear.
You may find that an automatic transmission makes driving more relaxing. But it falls in the same category as antilock brakes and lane departure warning, automatic emergency braking and the absolutely stupid driver assist that helps inept drivers pass between scary 18 wheelers from Nisson.
Basicly if a car is just transportation to you. Then you will never understand why some want a manual transmission. For those that need and love being in control it’s the ultimate mechanical connection to your vehicle.

A true driver doesn’t want an automatic or antilock brakes or any other driver nannies taking control of there vehicle.

I’m a professional mechanic, and I obviously do a lot of driving . . . class 1 through class 8 . . . manual and stick

But I’d rather drive an automatic, and I really like abs

I’m happy to declare myself a fake driver, by your standards :wink:

I sure made it easy for you,didn’t I :laughing:

Yeah me too. Of course I have a paddle shifter so I can put it in manual mode and shift when I want to. Really the only time I use that is when I’m pulling a trailer so I can make sure I’m not lugging in any gear. That’s why I’m saying its a pain to drive that way. Every stop, every turn, you have to shift and I’m happy to put it back in automatic mode.

1 Like

I don’t find that be the case in our Volvo V70 R Design at all .
Our Corvette was an automatic

And all this time I thought we both enjoyed driving the back roads with hills and curves but now you tell me we are not qualified for that.

1 Like

1 Like

Did Sgt Carter lie to me @B.L.E?

Yes, but those are one time, check boxes. You don’t need to get bit by a rattlesnake every day, do you?

I’ve got some of them checked already but I refuse to hike, get bit by a snake (I’ll shoot them gladly), grow a beard, and have no idea what kind of drink that is. I don’t wear pajamas either or drink hot chocolate normally.

Since the late 1930s, auto manufacturers have done different things so that the motorist didn’t have to use the clutch or move a gearshift lever or both. Packard had an electric clutch, which when turned on, disengaged the clutch when one released the accelerator and moved the shift lever. Hudson had its Drivemaster which shifted the transmission and operated the clutch or could be set to Vacuumatic to just operate the clutch with a vacuum cylinder when one released the accelerator. Chrysler had a fluid coupling where one could stop at a stop sign without depressing the clutch and start off from the stopsign in high gear. An option on the Chrysler products was the “lift and clunk” transmission where one used the clutch to put the car in driving range and then released the clutch. One then accelerated to about 15 to 20 mph, released the accelerator and the transmission would shift into direct drive. When one came to a stop sign, one just stepped on the brake. There was no need to depress the clutch. The transmission dropped back into a lower gear. You then accelerated away from the stop sign and accelerated to 15-20 mph and released the accelerator as before to allow the transmission to shift to direct drive.
When I was a teenager, my parents had a 1952 Dodge with this type transmission. It was called GyroMatic. They also had a 1954 Buick with a manual transmission. The Buick, with its V8 engine was much faster than the Dodge with its 6 cylinder engine and GyroMatic transmission. Which did I prefer to drive? On a date, I preferred the GyroMatic Dodge. With the bench seat, Little Iodine could sit right next to me–I could put my right arm around her and not have to worry about shifting gears.

“Punch Each Task As Achieved” . . .

I would expect a lot of men would use a hole puncher to indicate completion of those task(s)

but a real man may think he literally has to punch them, and use his fist(s) to punch the card :facepunch:

1 Like

You don’t really notice much of a difference in day to day driving.
MPGs are pretty good, for a V8- 16c/25h. It actually is rated for better hwy mpg than my 2010 Cx-7 with a turbo 4cyl 6sp auto- 17c/23h

According to fueleconomy.gov, the Mustang has the start-stop function as well. Did not know that.

Glenlivet 18 is a single malt scotch that’s been aged for 18 years. Neat means pure, not watered down with soda water. I dunno, I’m not desperate enough for man card punches to pay $125 for a bottle of whiskey, or is it whisky? I have been told that you’re a real whisky connoisseur if you can taste some whisky and tell if it’s spelled whiskey or whisky.

Mixing soda water with your whiskey is grounds for man card revocation. Ditto for putting cream and sugar in your coffee.

Ok I’ll pass on the whiskey or whisky. I mix Coke with my rum too. Agree on the black coffee and none of this flavored stuff.

It amazes me to see all the rush to become part of a trend and $10 coffee is certainly an amazing situation. Has the FEAR OF MISSING OUT become a life altering phobia? And FWIW I find McD’s coffee is hard to beat.

1 Like

I thought not even Starbucks is THAT expensive . . . ?

I often buy a cup of coffee from the local coffee/donut shops . . . I figure I’d rather give the money to the small business

1 Like

I have never bought a cup of coffee at Starbucks but when riding with a friend she went to their drive through and spent over $8 on some grand and glorious concoction that she trusted would make her day glorious and there was a long line of like minded people there. I tasted the brew and wasn’t impressed.

Putting all kinds of flavorings and cream in a perfectly good cup of black coffee, to me, is akin to putting ketchup on a fine steak.
Ditto for mixing soda water with a perfectly good shot of Glenlivit 18.

1 Like

So by your reckoning Formula 1 drivers are not true drivers?? There was a period in the late 90’s up until the mid-2000’s where the cars had automatic gearboxes AND ABS AND traction control AND active suspensions. All banned for cost reasons.

Several current racing series allow ABS brake systems. These systems can do things your foot just cannot do. These systems expand the operational envelope beyond what a mere human can do. A “true driver” can reach those limits and will be faster than a driver without them.

I’ve had ABS on one of my race cars and 2 of my track day cars. Heck, my current track day car is an automatic with ABS, stability control and traction control. The last 2 get turned off on-track.

1 Like

Isn’t that how Liddle Donnie eats his?

Is Why drive a manual? a question to which the proper answer is don’t?

1 Like