Why does it work?

As I see it, the secondary gap (that introduced at the distributor) allows the coil voltage to build up to a high level ~30-45k volts before the arc is initiated across the secondary gap. Once the arc is initiated the voltage drop across that gap would be 3-5k volts. The excess 25-40k volts now appears across the spark plug gap. The delta V/delta t is rich in RF components that are very effective in ionizing the air between the capacitive gap. With the ionization of the air, the resulting arc can now be initiated across the gap. The current leakage of the fouled spark plug still exists but it is not as effective in reducing the developed coil voltage once the arc is extant across the gap.

If you have ever worked with a Tesla coil or the flyback transformer of a TV, you will experience the ability of RF ionize air. In fact the flyback horizontal sweep circuit is a lot like the inductive discharge ignition system. The rectified HV can reach 30k VDC to provide the high voltage for the picture tube.

I once had a B&S lawn mower engine that would no run unless the secondary gap was introduced between the spark plug wire and the spark plug center electrode. Even scraping, cleaning, and drying the spark plug did not cure the problem. Only installing a new plug cured the misfire.

A very fair report on having certs does not mean you are all thumbs when it comes to actualy doing the job. All I ask is don’t let my high test scores make you think poorly of me before I get a chance to show my work

Keith’s on the right track, but for one small but important detail: The time constant of a resistor-inductor circuit is L divided by R, not L times R. Hence, introducing an additional gap (added resistance) in the circuit weakens the spark by decreasing both its intensity and its duration.
I presume weakening the spark is intended to remedy flooding while avoiding bigger problems. Weakening the spark enables the engine to “sip” rather than “guzzle” the excess gas that has accumulated in the intake manifold. Guzzling the gas may cause a big enough explosion to make the timing chain jump, which would be a far more serious problem than flooding.