Why do they make cars that do only what the engineer prefers

Manual windows also have a tendency to be forgotten by the driver when they get out of their vehicle in a hurry, and then the car gets flooded or rained in after a storm rolls into town.

Also, really short people can’t reach to the opposite side rear window from the drivers seat, and can’t roll up or down that window at their convenience.

Finally, some luxury cars use really thick, heavy window glass for extra sound proofing.
A window crank on these might be very difficult for that same 85 pound weakling to be able to roll up and down easily, hence the power windows for those vehicles, if not most vehicles.

BC.

My 2005 Scion has this feature.

Are power windows on the “sin tax” list now? Power windows and door locks, one of lifes small pleasures.

I don’t believe that an electrically operated servo is cheaper than a lever and cable to operate a heater duct air control flap.

Most or all of the automatic control functions such as radio on until you open the door, wipers on when you don’t want the headlights, heater functions out of your control and not programmable and the like are an illusion to make you think that you got value for your money. It is the marketing mind at work.

I will hope that one day, all heater, headlight, wiper, and radio functions will be programmable by the buyer including any required by some state laws. I can take care by myself to follow state laws.

I hope so also and when sales want me to program one without a work order they can buy my lunch.

I cannot count the number of times I have been paid .5 to program a few remotes, customers just seem to fall to pieces when it comes to doing this kind of stuff even when the manufacture intends for it to be a job done by the customer.

Why ?
Because the more they’re computerized, the more you get stuck with.

computers are dumb.
They only do what they’ve been programmed to do.
No logic.
No leaway.
No slack.
No thinking.

"Bladecutter April 27 Report

- They didn't provide any way to start moving in second gear in icy weather. 

There are lots and lots of cars that don’t have that feature, but people still manage to drive their cars in the snow. Maybe you need better winter tires to have that not be an issue. I just drive cars with manual transmissions so I have full control over the transmission, not some computer programming thought up by an engineer in a factory."

I say it should be a mandatory feature, because it works so well.

" - If the wipers are on, I can’t turn off the headlights. Thus, I can’t go to a drive-in theater if it is lightly raining.

Why in the world would you want to watch a drive in movie in the rain?
That makes no sense to me. You can watch the same movie inside a real theatre, and not have this issue. Plus, the sound quality is way better in the theatre."

Because I am highly allergic (airborne) to some products indoor theaters always sell at the concession stands. Our drive-in has a low power FM transmitter, so I can use my car’s audio system.

I am talking about a case where it is sprinkling or drizzling, not pouring.

" - The headlights stay on after the engine is shut off and the car is locked. But the time they stay on seems to change by itself without any logical reason.

Some people drive home in the dark, park their cars in dark garages, and really appreciate this feature."

I am not complaining about the feature. I am complaining that it is not consistent. Sometimes it shuts off after 10 seconds, and other times after a minute. I never know which it is going to do.

" - It won’t let me choose an air temperature below 60F. Sometimes I want colder air on the passenger side to keep frozen food cold for the long trip home from the store.

Buy a cooler."

I have a cooler. I used to do this if I didn’t have the cooler with me and I found a bargain.

" - The blower won’t run unless the engine is running.

Keeps people from killing their batteries from moments of forgetfulness."

I want it for the drive in.

asemaster April 28 Report
"They didn’t provide any way to start moving in second gear in icy weather.

This is the way the majority of automatic transmissions operate. Does your car not have traction control?"

Traction control doesn’t act until the wheels have already started to slip, making the ice slicker. Second gear start acts before the wheels slip.

"- On my old car, in mild weather, I always left the defroster on with a low fan speed. I like indirect air. This car makes me manually select the defroster every time I start the engine, and then it turns the blower on high.

This does seem annoying, but what does the climate control default to at every start? If I remember correctly, it should retain the previous settings."

It automatically selects the outlets based on the outside temperature. But I do not want it directing cold air on my feet before the engine warms up. I have to go through a menu to manually select the outlet each time iI start the engine.

"- When the defroster is on, and in some other seemingly unspecified cases, it won’t let me choose fully internal air circulation without first choosing another air delivery outlet. But when there is a dead skunk on the road ahead, I want fully internal air NOW.

Recirc should never be available in defrost mode, and every car with a system that is not operated solely by cables and levers will not allow recirc and defrost simultaneously. Recirc will just fog up the windows in the rain, just the opposite of what you want."

I just want it for a few seconds, until the skunk is way behind me. The way it is, I have to go through a menu to select an outlet before applying recirc. I should not be doing this while driving.

The engineers must live where skunks are not.

"- It won’t let me choose an air temperature below 60F. Sometimes I want colder air on the passenger side to keep frozen food cold for the long trip home from the store.

Actually, setting the temp to 60 IS “max” cooling, the same as keeping the dial all the way cold on a manual system. You do want recirc for this."

It won’t even let me bring cold outside air in. It heats the air to 60 degrees. When I am in a winter coat, I don’t want it to heat the air that warm, or I fry inside the coat. But I will freeze if I take the coat off, and then get out. There is not room in the seat to put on or take off a coat.