Why do most people think it's cool to exceed the speed limit?

Well sure, all those Christians who were 300-years-old and older. LOL

How about we get back to discussing cars?

3 Likes

As someone who has walked in his path and stood beside the Sea of Galilee, it really matters not a bit, what color his skin was. And he wasn’t all that kind to everyone. But walking hundreds of miles in that hot climate will surely cause a deep tan.

Back to cars boys.

2 Likes

You started it with your Avatar. Maybe Pogo again.

1 Like

it IS car-related, and I’m praying this gets us back on topic.

3 Likes

I will give you an amen on that.

I have read about several different studies that polled peoples own attitude about their driving skills.

75% of drivers think their driving skills are above average. For the less than mathematically inclined, that means at least 25% of those polled are wrong!

4 Likes

We all think we are better driver then we actually are , yes I include myself. I do have years of professional truck driving and running a warehouse with a fleet of trucks . I also know that there are places where the speed limit is correct .

1 Like

Those drivers might be from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.

7 Likes

Then the pollsters should have sampled a wider spectrum of folks! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

In St. Paul there is about a seven mile section of I 35E that has a 45 MPH limit. It’s called the practice freeway for those not comfortable with a real freeway. Why is it at 45 you ask? The neighborhood was against a freeway and fought it. A judge decided that 45 was a good compromise, hardly any higher than a boulevard limit. A couple years ago some folks decided it was time to make it a full-fledged freeway but the judge said it cannot be changed. It is a judicial edict forever. 45 miles an hour forever. Most of the time people go 50 but you gotta be careful, it is heavily paroled-a ready source of income. Ha ha ha. So much for those professional statistical speed limit studies. As Joe used to say “B as in B and S as in S”.

In practice, not too different from the straight and level roads in my area that go past farm fields, and that have a posted 30 mph speed limit. What could this be, other than an attempt at a ready source of income for the municipality?
:unamused:

My guess would be an attempt to protect farmers as they cross from one field to another, either on foot or driving a tractor.

WTF give me an amen, give me a satanic ritual, drive 8 over and be done with it!

1 Like

The farmers in this area share tractors, reapers, and other types of farm equipment, and they cross the road from one farm to another only… rarely.

…and when they rarely cross, I bet they’d prefer not to have cars barreling through at 55 MPH, because that farm equipment doesn’t move very fast.

I’m just saying it seems like a wise precaution, because what’s your hurry?

Not only that, but if it was that late at night the lights were probably changed to “on demand” and the light might well have changed before he could complete his maneuver.

Around here the farmers drive their tractors and implements right on the highways. I have heard it said though that they should stay right on the lane and not halfway on the shoulder because sure enough someone will force them off the road is part way.

Thinking back now, I was stopped for 59 in a 55 one night, no ticket. Tail lights out, no ticket, flickering motor bike tail light which was bad news, head light out, fixit ticket in Iowa, some speeding with some no tickets and other tickets. But like I said if you are driving 3000 miles a month all around the state with 55 mph speed limits, ya either go faster or you’d never get anything else done. I did get a couple parking tickets too. One in South Dakota that cost me 50 cents. A local girl there said they didn’t ticket out of state cars. She was wrong and wouldn’t pay me back. I think I have a little experience and some are truly just money makers but the state folks are pretty good, except for Indiana.

Your country lanes are wide. My wife’s parents used to live in a small rural town about 45 minutes away. Sometimes we would get stuck behind slow moving farm machines, and they were so wide they took up both lanes.

The ones that bother me though are the farm machines on the government farm. It doesn’t take long for a big line of cars to queue up behind them. Fortunately, it doesn’t happen often.

So here’s a couple of real world examples. See what you think.

So these both occured very close to where I live. So a 25mph residential road with speed bumps turns onto a 25mph residential road that has two lanes going each way. That road parallels a main/busy road that is to the north of it which is a 40mph though a lot of lights and traffic. So people will use the 25mph residential one as a bypass though go a lot faster. So I was turning right onto that road and from the left there is kind of a bend, fine at 25mph though 35mph+ by the time you see them they get to that intersection fairly quick. So I’m already starting to turn and I see the vehicle, a dark red SUV. or crossover, whateve they are now. To make this right turn legally it’s a 90 degree turn since there’s a thick striped bike lane that resumes and to not cross onto the left of the two lanes, it’s 90 degrees, which means I have to do it slowly. Now this SUV comes up quickly behind me and I can see, and then lays on the horn. I don’t speed up because I’m not going to violate the traffic law because someone is laying on the horn. It then passes me and turns out to be a woman with a license plate from a bordering state.

This other one occurred on/near the same road. There’s a right turn onto a 30mph road with two lanes also in each direction. So I turned on there, and go 30mph then this SUV/crossover thing the passes me and gets in front. It turns out we’re both going to the same grocery store not too far up that road. The amount of time they saved was nothing. Maybe it has to do with me special bright LED’s I have and they’re jealous.

If you follow the traffic laws all the time and very few people do all the time, then you avoid getting a citation.

If you think, I can’t be held responsible for an “accident” if I follow the traffic laws all the time isn’t true. Unless you have it happening on dash cam then it’s going to be your word against theirs with the insurance companies and the other person is going to lie most likely. The local police won’t get involved unless it’s a serious accident.

I think people get some sense of inner thrill or ego boost out of it. Like “I’m better then them, I won” etc.

That’s interesting. Well said post.