Why are there typically 5 lug-nuts on a mid-sized wheel?

I could see that as a problem I don’t know if they all came from the factory with the guide pins or not but all the ones I owned had them except for one that had a broken one that I replaced.

It’s a common misconception that something needs to be symmetrical in order to be balanced.

Check out this airplane propeller:

It works just fine even though it’s not symmetrical, because it’s balanced on either side of the rotation axis via a heavy weight in that silver knob on the short end.

Same thing for lug nuts. From a balance perspective, you could get away with a single lug nut as long as you weighted the other side properly (of course, bad things would happen from a wheel tearing away from the hub perspective. :wink: )

2 Likes

very strange looking. I dont understand the thinking of doing that. why not just have 2 blades.

In any multi-blade rotational object (prop, ceiling fan, whatever), every blade is running through the air that got disturbed by the blade in front of it. The thinking was that a single blade prop would be more efficient because there isn’t another blade to mess up the air.

That thinking turned out to be… Wishful (as should have been obvious, because anything that small rotating at 2,000 RPM will see its single blade running through the air it disturbed itself). But single-blade props have turned out to be useful in self-launching gliders, because being smaller it’s easier to make them fit inside the airframe when they’re retracted.

3 Likes

I believe that was on the oddball F250 that wasn’t quite a “superduty” f250 but wasn’t an f150. I think they may have done 7 lugs again on some 2010-2014 f150’s with some heavy trailering or payload package.

Can you imagine being a passenger approaching that plane with no knowledge of it beforehand. “Wait a minute…this can’t be right.”

4 Likes

This caused me to do a different lookup and Scrapyard John is mostly correct - meaning I was partially wrong.

According to Tire Guides, Ford used 7 studs from 1997 to 2013. Please note: Depending on the exact model car or truck, Ford also used 4, 5, 6 or 8 studs.

Because it’s an SUV and not a car! Meaning the Cadillac SRX was built on a truck chassis not a car chassis.

1 Like

Sigma was General Motorsmid-size rear-wheel drive automobile platform. The architecture debuted in 2002 with the 2003 Cadillac CTS and is adaptable for all-wheel drive and extended wheelbase versions.

The long-wheelbase Cadillac STS replaced the front-wheel drive GM G platform Cadillac Seville. The CTS was a replacement for the rear-wheel drive V-body Cadillac Catera.

The Sigma platform has a four-wheel independent suspension with control arms in front and multi-link in the rear. GM’s High Feature V6 and Northstar V8 are most common, though the small-block V8 has also been used. GM’s 5-speed 5L40/5L50 automatic transmission is used throughout the range.

All Sigma vehicles are built at the purpose-built Lansing Grand River factory in Lansing, Michigan.

Vehicles based on this platform:

not made for trucks.

@George_San_Jose1

Your 1992 Corolla uses 4-lug rims

The current Corolla uses 5-lug rims

You’ll sleep better at night if you trade in for a new Corolla

:smiley:

nice try… but you would need to come up with some more sale-talk to convince George, I bet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Sigma was also called “GMT 265”

GMT = General Motors Truck

The Caddy SRX, or as it was known to some… the Midget Hearse… is a heavy Sigma platform vehicle… so it got 6 bolt wheels. Much like the first CTS-V got 6 bolt wheels. Heavy and high HP.

Same for stretch limo versions of the Seville G Bodies, 6 bolt wheels

Trade it in? I might be able to use as a smudge pot if I start a cherry orchard :wink:

1 Like

Don’t California have enough smog already to need you help with a smudge pot?:laughing:

Heard CA does not allow fireplaces in new construction, and bans new gas stations, Hijack of thread I know, but are smudge pots allowed? To further hijack the thread CO does not allow rain barrels as you would be stealing water resources, ready for the hijack warning.

1 Like

It was a joke.

Well, I stand corrected about the SRX and it’s platform.

But I find it funny that the SRX - which is obviously an SUV, where all the others listed on that platform are cars - has 6 bolt lugs just like all the other Cadillac SUV’s albeit at a different bolt circle.

Doing further investigation, it seems this 6X115mm bolt circle was used on several vehicles. I wonder if this has to do with what part of GM designed the vehicles. They could have started with the same platform, then modified things to suit what they were familiar with.

Does the later FWD-based SRX have the 6 lugs, or just the 1st gen which was on a different RWD based chassis?

Edit-I checked, both use 6.

Many water pump mounted fans have unevenly spaced blades, apparently to control an harmonic problem.

This was a good example

3 Likes

04-07 Cts had 5x115. 08 had 5x120.
Cts-v always had 6x115, like the srx.
I don’t know what 09 and newer Cts cars had.