Why are the manual transmission EPA fuel economy ratings so low?

Those trucks (with the 5.9 liter Cummins) are somewhat iconic and in many ways, better than some of the later 3/4 ton diesels. The manual trans is more desirable, in my opinion. The Chrysler 4 speed autos were kinda problematic. No self respecting diesel “truck guy” would shy away from a stick shift!

Still way overpriced in my opinion (yes, I know they sold it). I’d like another stick shift, myself. A manual trans would be a pro rather than a con, for me. I don’t really do “city” driving anyway.

2 Likes

Yup!
It’s a conspiracy.
:smirk:

1 Like

Less than 1 percent of sales in 2018 for Toyota

The Brits are trending toward automatics

As is the rest of Europe

https://fordauthority.com/2020/07/automatic-transmissions-gaining-in-popularity-in-europe/

Same happened to me when I had a 5 speed 1988 Mitsubishi truck. Of course, when I actually went to sell it, I discovered most of those offers came from the same place as the high school kids saying Honda should make another CRX. All talk, no money.

One was particularly amusing. “Yeah, I can’t pay you anything, but I’ll haul stuff for you in it whenever you want.” If I needed it to haul stuff, I wouldn’t be selling it in the first place, now would I?

Nobody cares because you really can’t determine the validity of their claim. Based on a simple Google search the $34k is way way above the average selling price. That advertisement if meant for suckers. It’s a company that BUYS vehicles and wants you to believe that they give top dollar for vehicles.

What is the difference in fuel mileage between a Dodge 5.9 diesel 5 speed manual and an automatic ?

Answer : If you have to ask you can’t afford either one.

3 Likes

Surprisingly, the fuel mileage is relatively decent…for a very large truck that isn’t really intended to be a commuter vehicle. Better than the gas equivalent, at least.

Everything @TheWonderful90s comes up with sounds like conspiracy theory bait to me.

3 Likes

some people just like to debate and argue.

I disagree. :thinking:

3 Likes

Yup even when they have no idea what they are talking about. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

At this point he’ll keep it until it goes to the scrap yard. He’s pulled the engine himself when all he had was a rented hoist and a parking spot off the street. Back when he lived in basically a one room cottage. Everybody there was looking for a Toyota 4x4 to go to the ski resport and our grandpa had a '86 B2000 2wd so he knew what a good truck should drive like. For the run to Lowes it still has a purpose. He’s had it close to 20yrs.

How are people supposed to tow a vehicle behind an RV now that manual transmissions are gone? What do you do with a tow dolly when the vehicles are separated?

A guide to dinghy towing;

Downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides | MotorHome Magazine

Certain automatic’s are approved for towing behind an RV, the process depends on the vehicle but on a Ranger it’s as follows (From the Good Sam 2020 Dinghy guide)

Special Procedures: Put the vehicle in neutral tow for recreational towing by placing the transfer case in its neutral position and engaging the fourwheel-down towing feature. Flat towing requires following the very detailed and involved instructions outlined in the owner’s manual.

1 Like

It’s done all the time. When we go camping (at least 20 times during the year) - I see people towing automatics behind RV’s all the time. Why don’t you ask them? They’re not hard to find.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-best-vehicles-to-flat-tow-behind-rv.aspx

Read up right here. My '04 Avalanche can be flat towed by setting the transfer case to neutral.

Could an automatic in general be flat towed by putting the trans in neutral with the engine idling?
Wastes gas, but not a whole lot.
(Apologies in advance to those “regulars” that loathe idle curiosity).

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to try it, that still may not lubricate everything in the transmission, and having a running engine would not be a good thing, to me.

That sounds like it would bring over heating into play as the RV would block a lot of airflow.